1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

found a way to GREATLY improve FPS stability with VERY LOW TEMPS 7811fx/7805u users only

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by ONE_J, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Eniem

Eniem Notebook Enthusiast

It was enabled, i tick disable, but it didn't help. I'm very dissapointed. :(
    I've found a way to decrease voltage w/o flashing bios. Just installed latest Beta drivers (195. 51 i think) and voltage decreased from 1.11 to 0.9. But only in 2D, 2D desktop, 3D, but not in 3D application. :(
    Is there is a way to force games to use only 3D in 0.9 voltage, and just simply overclock 3D to 3D applications clocks?

2. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Notebook Guru

Since Psyauto so graciously sold me his P7811FX board, I have been seeking to lower the voltage to the GPU as well. Running The Witcher, I have gotten the temp up to 95 degrees and that has me a little worried.

I have tried every method out there to lower the voltage including using Phoenix Bios Editor to strip out the GPU bios, NiHibitor to modify the GPU bios and PBE to reassemble it. Then found out that it only changes values and not the actual hardware voltage.

I have tried Powermizer and it just makes it default to 1.12v or back to normal where it bounces between 0.90v and 1.12v.

The only option I see is to run the laptop on the battery all the time so it defaults to 0.90v. Stop gaming after it drains out, then fill it up again, then rinse & repeat.

3. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile

Those temps are extremely high. Is this at stock clocks? Have you tried cleaning and or reapplying the TIM with ICD?

4. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Notebook Guru

Oh yeah. The computer has been cleaned extensively. Most of the time it is running in the 75 degree range, but it did peak at 95 degrees for a moment. I turned off anti-aliasing too just as a precaution. Its got fresh Arctic Silver on it and it is running at stock clocks.

EDIT: Now I know that The Witcher is a video card challenger so I decided to just lower the settings to LOW. Made all the difference. Now it runs at a max 65 degrees. No, its not as pretty, but I can game in the living room now. I may play with some of the details. There are some scenes that just push the video to the max, like when walking through the Fields in chapter IV. The wheat swaying in the wind is pretty demanding.

I would really love to figure out how to volt mod this thing though.

5. 0______0

0______0 Notebook Enthusiast

I saw ONE_J's warning not to tamper with the DeviceID, but Nibitor detects the DeviceID of the BIOS as belonging to a 9800m GT 1GB, while I own a 9800m GTS 1GB, is it safe to flash it?