(FORM) Laptop for Web Research and Digital Music Quality ~ $1500

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by March_Forth, Mar 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. March_Forth

March_Forth Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1500 USD

2) What size notebook would you prefer? e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: I HATE ipads. Just saying.
    b. Dislike: HP, Acer
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Intense internet research, with as many as 40 tabs open at once. Also, *not at the same time as research* - listening to loud digital music or doing music creation using Ableton DAW and Audacity, etc.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both, but 90% it will stay on the desk at home.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Not really, but maybe old school games like Galaga and Megaman.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Don't care.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? I don't need to see it in person, so online is OK.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows 10.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) 1920x1080

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) I don't know. My current one is glossy. But, I'm open.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? No. I care about speed, stability and durability/long life.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? I was thinking 512 SSD for the OS/Apps, and maybe 500 HDD Gigs for research (excel) docs and music (mp3/mp4).

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? As soon as the next 1-2 weeks.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? My current laptop is a 7 year old Dell Inspiron 17, i5 with Win7, with 16 gigs of RAM, but I would expect 3-4 years from this one hopefully.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? 1-2 painful weeks.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Shipping is OK. I don't usually get warranties.

NOTE: I would like speed and stability the most, but also I use my laptop to listen to music exclusively. I currently have small Bose speakers and ideally, I would like a suggestion for a set up that will include excellent sound reproduction. Right now, I need to reboot my laptop to get good sound from it and NOT open any other apps when listening to itunes or streaming music otherwise the sound quality degrades and I don't know why. I will pay extra for excellent, loud music quality. I would appreciate suggestions on how to get the best digital music to my ears, even if it means getting more stuff. Thank you very much for your help.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome and thanks for filling out the form.

The sound problems you're having with your current laptop aren't ones I know how to reproduce ...even my six year old work laptop can stream music while I do other things. It sounds like a software problem of some kind, one that you might be able to clear up with a fresh install of Windows. (Which is good to do for Windows PCs now and then.)

Just about any 17-inch notebook around $1,000 ought to work fine for your usage. Look for a Core i7 CPU and at least 16GB of RAM, and whatever size storage drive you want. A Dell Precision, ThinkPad P-series, or an HP ZBook would serve you well. Those are all excellent quality notebooks that are designed to last. New they'll probably be over your budget, so try outlet shopping; they should come in under your budget. (Use our guide.)

Charles

March_Forth likes this.
  3. March_Forth

March_Forth Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the recommendations. I had some concern about swollen batteries in Dell laptops. Thoughts?

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Battery technology isn't unique to Dell. If Dell has issues with swollen batteries, I haven't heard of them.

Charles

March_Forth likes this.