Forget Intel Ivy Bridge, Haswell on the way

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Jayayess1190, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raryderp

Raryderp Newbie

Reputations:
    Is the 4th intel mobile processor any faster than the 3rd ones? Not talking about the graphics.
    I'm buying a laptop real soon and have to decide between 3630qm and 4600qm

2. StratCat

StratCat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you both for your quick replies, and my apologies for the delayed response - I got to enjoy a cyber-free weekend with my family (AKA, "making RL count"), :)

I've used the Intel Burn Tool in the past, but just recently began using ThrottleStop in lieu of RMClock (kudos and +rep to unclewebb). Except for occasional upgrading of my old C2D Penryn laptop in my sig, I've been a bit dormant in this hobby, but would like to get back up-to-speed.

@HopelesslyFaithful - What I'm wondering is: How did you measure or calculate the power values in your 'TDP' column of the chart in Post 963?

@all - Thanks to all the contributors in this thread - It's been a good read, with some informative discussion and conjecture.

3. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    he doesnt, he actually gets the power consumption numbers

4. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    correct. Intel chips show the TDP numbers and you can see that in TS.

Also i think it was here that i was complaining about how whatever reason technology blows up in my face. Well this time after i had to do a full reinstall and everyone thing on my R4 i tried switching to intel graphics and it now longer uses a magical 50 wh. It actually now uses 14-25 wh, instead of in GPU mode using 27-32. Woot now i can actually use my IGPU! Why does it work now.....don't know just glad one more thing started to work right and not be a pain in the butt. I can now instead of getting 2.5-3 hours of life I can get 4-6 hours woot woot.

not a whole lot unless you need those instructions but you are not really going to save anything getting an IB over a HW unless you get something on dell outlet

5. StratCat

StratCat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm a little lost by 'gets'. From where?

Edit - Oops ...concurrently posted with HopelesslyFaithful's explanation.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that feature.

6. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    ^^ check my post above ^^ we posted almost the same time

7. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    he pays attention to my posts because Im way more handsome, oh wait there are just guys here, I will then proceed to drop this here

[​IMG]

8. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    does anyone know Best Buy's return policy or another local chain store that accepts returns? I am debating on maybe "buying" a haswell chip laptop and returning it after i get a chance to test it's efficiency and scalability...no one has report on how this new independent voltage regulation works/helps. I want to see if it makes a big difference or any at all.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Is that a phaser on your belt, or... nevermind.

<iframe width='560' height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/02y-leYU-I4" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width='560' height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qVtmcNwewbs" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  10. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    thats, thats just

[​IMG]

its that, not precise and not tdp, as mentioned he measure power consumption

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.