Forget Intel Ivy Bridge, Haswell on the way

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Jayayess1190, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    so if i set the TDP to 36 in XTU that goes off the real number or the VID number?

EDIT: when i set TDP in XTU to 36 38 40 42 it throttles it at roughly those numbers give or take just like how it normally throttles at 45 TDP in normal use

2. StratCat

StratCat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I Still haven't been able to use TS to crack any pwr options on my C2D sys in my sig, and not sure if I will: The original post in the NBR ThrottleStop Guide thread seems to be displaying those options under the "Core i Menu Options", but not the "Core 2" section. Granted, I'm still new to TS and have a lot of RTFM to do. The TDP options I did find are greyed out.

Ref: http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.html

(Scroll 7-8 PGDN in OP)

Well, the "classic" EE method to accurately determine the power dissaption of an electronic device, is to measure the voltage drop across the device, measure the current flow through the device, and use the basic power formula (P = I x E) to calculate power.

Easy to do when testing basic devices on a bench. Often easy to do if you've got a simple discreet device in circuit, or even ICs that are the right type and configuration, But huge scale LGA & BGA microprocessors on 8, 10, 12, 14 layer boards? A truly monumental & Herculean task! :eek:

You'd have to break all the power feeds to the processor, re-route them through a current measuring device (while routing the feeds back through the processor to enable it to function), then measure the voltage across the device. I don't see anyway easy way to physically do it for an enthusiast or home hobbyist. I don't think I even see a hard way! :p

But rest assured Intel most likely created fixtures for doing similar measurements during their development and design process, and test stages, too. There are ways.

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    StratCat: The Core 2 Duo mobile CPUs had a turbo boost feature called Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA) but this was not limited by power consumption the way the new Core i CPUs are. That's why TDP in ThrottleStop will be grayed out when this program is running on a Core 2 Duo.

Core 2 laptops that unlock EIST in the bios can access a special feature called Dual IDA. ThrottleStop will let you access this when EIST is unlocked. Here is 47 pages of light reading about that trick.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/win...c-acceleration-ida-both-cores-core-2-duo.html

4. StratCat

StratCat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^^

Ah, thank you unclewebb. :thumbsup:

I've had some time off from computing-as-a-hobby, at least in terms of system architecture and low-level technology, and I need to come up to speed.

5. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Cannonlake

Reputations:
    New Intel mobile Haswell CPUs spotted

6. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Cannonlake

Reputations:
    New Intel mobile CPUs to launch in September

螢幕快照-2013-07-02-上午3.32.50-665x135.png

7. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations: