Forget Intel Ivy Bridge, Haswell on the way

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Jayayess1190, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    so the 1-3 TDP difference i noticed between from running at 12x non turbo boost multiplier plus 14x turbo multiplier compared to 26x non turbo boost multiplier at 100% load was the inaccuracy in TS/intel's readings? and not an actual difference? or could there be an actual difference?

remember i did this at 100% load and not idle

2. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    you measure a non precise power consumption

3. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    anyways. I still wasn't measuring it for power when i did the test. I was testing to see what a CPU readings were at various points for throttling. I was looking at its scalability in a thermal envelope. That is the number the CPU uses right to tell if it needs to throttle right?

4. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    no the cpu has active sensors that will throttle at given temps

5. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    *face palm* I am talking about TDP throttling...the CPU TDP throttles at the TDP shown in TS right? When i set it at 36 or 40 TDP it throttles at those numbers

6. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    its been a while since I played with throttle stop, but no the throttling is based on several things and I dont recall that TS could throttle at given tdps

7. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    TS and XTU both can. XTU only goes down to 36 though. The point was i was just looking to see how the processor scales. I am interested to see how the haswell chip compares.

8. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    i have to install it again, unfortunately that will be done on a core 2 duo cpu

9. HopelesslyFaithful

Reputations:
    i have better control over my 920xm but that is because the 3720qm is fairly limited

EDIT: also i never used TDP to do what i did. I just tried the mhz and went with it but i would be interested to see how fixing mhz/multipliers vs TDP would work out. I wonder which would work more efficiently.

EDIT: BTW what would be the best way to tell actual power used?...is there a relatively easy way to tell? I do have a P3 kilowatt meter but that obviously isn't accurate. The best I could do is go into igpu mode use external screen and keep only my SSD in there and limit myself to a single stick of ram. That might get me fairly close but better than the TDP in TS? find that hard to believe

10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Throttling is based on a time weighted average of estimated power consumption. ThrottleStop shows the instantaneous estimated power consumption so throttling may not begin at that exact value. I have not seen the top secret Intel formula but I do know that throttling can start way sooner on some CPUs based on the time weighted average.

This estimated value is based on VID and not actual voltage so don't put too much faith in that number. It is only intended to control Turbo Boost and is not a 100% accurate measure of CPU power consumption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.