1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Forget Intel Ivy Bridge, Haswell on the way

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Jayayess1190, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Skylake

Reputations:
    Ok, seems I didn't make one of these. I have threads on AMD Fusion, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Broadwell, but none on Haswell. Well, here it is!

[​IMG]

Launches in March 2013 featuring:

• 22nm Processors
    • 13W/17W for ULV Dual Core
    • 37W/47W/57W for standard voltage Dual and Quad Cores
    • New FMA Instructions
    • New cache design
    • Advanced Power Saving features
    • 3D Tri-Gate Transistors
    • Double the battery life of current processors
    • Launches June 2013

2. hatcher

hatcher Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's a never ending race, one reason i never understood the age old question "should i buy now or just wait 6 months?" if you're waiting around for the next best thing you'll be in a perpetual waiting game, something better, faster, smaller, lighter, quicker, cooler, quieter, etc. etc. is always just around the corner.

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    Right. GPU's tend to update every 9 months, and CPU's every 12. Sometimes there's more significant improvements than others. It can't hurt to wait a month if something is on the fence, but if you're waiting 3, 4, 5 months, then you clearly don't need a new laptop anyhow. I usually buy a new laptop every 18-24 months. Right now I'm looking at about 18 months going from my current Sager to a Sandy Bridge Sager. I'm hoping to get three years out of this with a CPU and GPU upgrade in 18-24 months this time around, so maybe pick up the tick on the opposite side of Haswell.

4. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    For me the best proposition is always to get the tock, thats why I always plan my purchases around those.

5. Pooster

Pooster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's the way I tend to think, but when I look at my purchases, they've all been ticks. lol

6. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    But I got my Gulftown 970 for 240 dollars! Oh how I hate you Intel, every 2 years I gotta buy whole new stuffs..

7. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No you don't. They just make you think you do (Intel's marketing at work). Be happy with what you have, you have a nice system already. :)

@Jay; atleast we finally got a thread about something you are actually waiting for. ;)

8. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    lol I'm just kidding man...yes my i7 rig only plays games...way overkill. No more builds at least til Haswell/Rockwell.

How much better can Intel make their IGP...

9. ctown.myth

ctown.myth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Big question: IGP. I will be getting a Sandy Bridge version of the 3820TG, but if the IGP in Haswell is on par with a 5650 then I don't need a discrete card for my Haswell notebook.

10. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Oh, you say that now, but as media/games grow more demanding, that will likely change :p

11. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Skylake

Reputations:
    Yes, once I send in my 1830T to acer for them to replace the annoyingly loud heat sink and fan, I will be set until 2013. :cool:

12. ctown.myth

Reputations:
    I know, I know, but that's why I'm also building a new Haswell/Rockwell desktop :D. The notebook will be relegated to casual gaming (mostly SC2, DIII, BF3, CSS, TF2).

13. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    so how is the build going? I find it interesting to bet in the future market

14. ctown.myth

Reputations:
    Will build it, my bad for not wording it properly. Currently I have a Concore E6600 with a 5770 on my desktop and an Acer 1410. Both are aging (the 1410 was a mistake anyways, should've gotten an Asus UL30Vt).

15. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    I have a Q9550 and GTX 260 in my desktop. My new laptop will blow it away, lol. And I had an Acer 1410. It was a great little machine. The UL30Vt at the time was like twice the cost of the Acer 1410. So not a bad deal.

But I wouldn't bet on future tech. A 5650 is half way decent now but in two years it'll be low end tech. Your gaming menu will most likely change too.

16. ctown.myth

Reputations:
    I don't really mind playing on lower settings, I had a 1800GTO2 which was flashed to XT PE speeds before I got the 5770 last December. Also the 1410 couldn't do much casual gaming, I fired up BF2 and it barely got above 20 frames. I guessed it was because of the low FSB on the SU3500 because I have heard of other 4500MHDs play it reasonably well.

BTW how is the quad? I got the E6600 right around before the Q6600 came out, so I always feel like I missed out on something bigger :(.

17. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    my only hope is that the new 6600 series is faster than my current 4670m, since that the 5650 was about the same performance. I need to get a new notebook

18. ctown.myth

Reputations:
    You're in luck. But I'd expect the power draw to be on par with the 57x0 series (around 20W-30W); infact the 480 MADD count is 96 shaders, a whole 16 more than the old Redwood cores.

Now I can't remember which card had 480 shaders, was it the 3870/3850? Because if it is so, the 6770 would be on par with a desktop 8800/9800 GT. The 3870 was slow because a lot of work was taken up by the shaders, in the 4800 series, ATi moved a lot of post processing (AA mainly) over to the ROPs; with that limitation gone, you should see a significant speed boost.

Actually I think that the 5670 also uses 96 shaders, or a very high clock, it performs very close to the 9800 GT. That's amazing because the 8800 GTX took up entire mouthfuls of power back in it's heyday, and now we get the same power in a 15" notebook!

19. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    You mean Im out of luck. That thing will give me something around 5-10 fps in games, if it is so. The 4670 was pretty much on par with the 5650, and since that I oc mine quite a bit, I get very much playable frame rates in high at most games. Nvidia has to step up its game in the middle range, AMD rules that thing, there has to be competition

the gpus that have comparable power to the gt 9800 are the 5800 and the gtx 460m

20. ctown.myth

Reputations:
    Yeah, that really won't give much of any improvement. Nvidia is unfortunately focusing more on low-end (Tegra) and high-end computing; it was exciting back in the GeForce 4000 and Radeon 9000 days, now it's just interesting for a couple of weeks and then dull for the rest of the year...