Forget Arrandale, SB Huron River Platform on the Way

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Jayayess1190, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Cannonlake

Reputations:
    Intel to push WiMax with the Huron River mobile Sandy Bridge platform:

Softpedia
    Fudzilla

And 3D and HDMI 1.4!:

2. lowlymarine

lowlymarine Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that Intel is still pushing out new platforms at a decent clip; I was afraid that without AMD destroying them on benchmarks, they'd get horribly complacent and we'd be stuck with 6+ years of Core 2, just like we got stuck with 6+ years of Netburst. Oddly, lack of competition seems to be driving them to do better, which doesn't really make any sense but whatever, I'll roll with it. I'm really happy with my U30Jc; the Core i3 is incredibly snappy for a "budget" chip, and doesn't skip a beat even in situations that cause my desktop's 3.0 GHz Core 2 Duo to chug a bit (to say nothing of the thrashing it gives my T61's 2.0 GHz C2D).

What frustrates me, though, is Intel on the desktop. Their chips are still really powerful, but their platforms have absolutely zero forward-compatibility, which is fine on a notebook where you have to replace the whole machine anyways, but is rather irksome when you buy a $250 680i with the promise of extended support and then later get told the very next generation of chips that are basically nothing but die shrinks won't run on it. Intel clearly doesn't care about performance per dollar and never has, but Nehalem has seen Intel totally give up on the performance/watt angle as well. AMD chips are just crushing Intel from an economic standpoint, and while I want the best performance possible from my build, it's just really hard to convince myself that Intel's better performance is worth the 100% or more cost premium, especially when you know there's not going to be any upgrade path.

3. laststop311

laststop311 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I totally forgot about huron river. I'm in the market for a portable high battery life machine that still has decent power. Was gonna go for the m11x refresh with a core i5 ulv. But I got an amazing m17x that I can deal with until Huron River comes out. When the m11x gets upgraded to Huron River platform and sandy bridge cpu's power and battery life will increase. If it's a 20% increase in battery life thats 9.6 hours instead of 8 hours. So probly 8.5-9 hours of wireless time and faster and more power. That's gonna be the ultimate portable gamer when Huron River comes out. I will suffer with my 50 minute gaming battery life of my m17x for 6-8 more months then I'll leave my m17x as a perm mini desktop and have a bad mofo HR platform SB chip m11x. Plan in motion!

4. Jayayess1190

Reputations:
    Nice, SB is worth the wait:

• Intel Wifi+Bluetooth combo chip
    • Ability to view 2 Blu-Rays on one charge
    • Enhanced Graphics
    • 22% smaller die over the 45nm gpu+32nm cpu of current Arrandale
    • WIDI to support 1080p

Attached Files:

5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    So a question, since the IGP is 2x faster and up to two on die graphics chips will we see on chip SLI for up to 4x the performance?

6. lackofcheese

lackofcheese Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm strongly inclined to disagree with you there. Lynnfield has the best performance per watt of any desktop CPU.

While Intel's cost-competitiveness in desktops could be better, the $200 Core i5-750 is a very good chip. Also, despite being dual-core, the Core i3-530 is quite solid at $115, and quite competitive with AMD's quad cores.

7. BamAlmighty

BamAlmighty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I won't jump until USB 3.0 is integrated.

Intel can choke on light peak.

8. ghegde

ghegde Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    there will be performance improvements.. some say, as significant as going from Netburst Pentium 4s to C2D's

i wouldn't think 3d,widi,wimax, "enhanced gfx" are worth it imo

9. Jayayess1190

Reputations:
    I know I'm excited, and only 6 months away. :)

10. LedCop

LedCop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I dunnoooo... I believe intel itself has said that the top Sandy Bridge is 20% faster than the top Arrandale we have right now. That 20% difference is less than the jump from C2D to Arrandale and I'm sure Pentium 4s to C2Ds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.