Forced at 640x480 resolution.

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by lupusarcanus, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lupusarcanus

lupusarcanus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, today, everything with my PC was fine, until just an hour ago I woke the computer up from standby. It SEEMED OK, until it randomly switched to 640x480 resolution. I tried right-clicking the desktop and went to Screen Resolution, but the option to change it was greyed out. So then I went to Device Manager and tried to Roll Back the Driver, but when I did that, my PC crashed (screen went black for 10+ minutes) and I had to turn it off via holding down the power button. I rebooted into Safe Mode, and tried doing a System Restore to a time I knew worked. However, I still rebooted into the horrible 640x480 resolution. So then I went into Device Manager again, and uninstalled the Driver. Then I went to Programs and Features and uninstalled ATI Software Install Manager, ATI Catalyst Control Center, ATI Video Driver and ATI HDMI/DP Audio (basically uninstalled eveything to do with ATI). Then I downloaded the driver for the display adapter from HP, and installed it. Still, the same problem. I ran a virus scan and everything seems OK. I've exhausted my knowledge and need your guys' help.

PC Specs:
    HP EliteBook 8740w
    Intel i5-560M'
    ATI FirePro M7820
    8.0 GB RAM
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is possible that you video card went out, is it still under warranty?

3. goofball

goofball Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what does it say for your monitor display, what type of driver and the name?

4. lupusarcanus

Reputations:
    Yeah, it is.

It says "1|2. Multiple Monitors". If I click on advanced settings and click the adapter tab under it lists my card correctly. If I click on the monitor tab it has "Generic PnP Monitor" and "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" which neither seem to work. I've never connected my PC to another monitor via any of the ports -- I only use/have the built-in laptop one.

5. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
  6. MasivB

MasivB Guest

Reputations:
    Backup all your information. Reformat the HD.
    ^ Fixes all software problems.
    If it's hardware. You're kind of F'd unless you're under warranty.

7. lupusarcanus

Reputations:
    Can I use a different CCC for my card (like the stock one)? I'm thinking I'll take the backup/reformat suggestion. I've had stability issues with the HP drivers before... although they never messed up quite like this before.

8. Star Forge

Star Forge Quaggan's Creed Redux!

Reputations:
    You will need the default HP Driver first before you add on CCC. It is the only way the CCC will detect the FirePro from a Radeon Catalyst POV.

9. lupusarcanus

Reputations:
    Well, it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue. After reinstalling Windows and applying my backups, everything seems to be in correct working order. Still unsure as to what happened, though.

10. lupusarcanus

Reputations:
    Annnndddd guess what? Fresh install, and it happened again. I was able to get my screen resolution normal, but I have to go right-click the desktop, select screen resolution, and select Show Desktop only on 1 each time I start my computer. I might pop in a Linux DVD to confirm its a hardware problem, but at this point I'm fairly certain it is, especially the way it acts before it happens (screen going on/off in random intervals a random number of times).

This stinks. Gonna have to have HP come out AGAIN.

EDIT: Dandy, I have to do it when I wake up from standby/hibernate as well. This is not supposed to be like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.