Force downgrade Alienware Area-51m Bios (or any alienware) to locked lower versions

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by S.K, Jul 4, 2019.

1. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I am on the latest BIOS and the 87 slider works fine. After the latest update of Alienware command center I did paste in the profiles.zip from another thread.
    upload_2020-8-29_13-9-24.png

I do find that gaming on "Full Fans" works great.

MogRules and Aroc like this.
  2. ultratowel12

ultratowel12 Newbie

Reputations:
    So very fortunately for me someone on Reddit forwarded me to this thread. i have just bought an alienware M15 R1 with an i7 9750h and an rtx 2070 MaxQ. i recieved the laptop with the bios already in 2.4.1 brand new out of the box. thankfully after reading a previous comment on here of the guy getting to from from 2.5 to 2.0.1 on his M17 R1 which runs the same exact same BIOS as the M15 i decided to take my chance at it. i upgraded myself form 2.4.1 to 2.5 so i could be running the same software as the person with the M17 then followed the steps from OP and Voila i am magically now on 2.0.1 and have access to undervolting. undervolted my cpu to -160 this far and brought my heaven extreme benchmark from throttling all 6 cores to all cores capping out no higher than 83 for a 20 minute test. tomorrow i will be replacing the thermal paste with kryptonaught to try and increase performance even further. thank you guys so much for the immense amount of info and im happy that i can confirm for you guys that this has worked for me. also note though in OP's origanal instructions. on dells website in the bios download options. they already had and RCV file available to downlaod so i used that one instead of using the CMD to make my own from an HDR and it worked just fine. thank you again

3. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Kriptonaugh, that's new

Seriously tho, don't use Kryonaut. Temps will be good for a couple of days and them they will get worse.

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

4. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Gelid Extreme, Phobya (though erosive to heatsink and die) I would personally recommend (non conductive)

If you want liquid metal you can use Conductunaut / Liquid Metal Extreme and one more Chinese liquid metal (I forgot the name )

bear in mind this liquid metal eats away a layer of copper forming a black mark.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. Mariohlp

Mariohlp Newbie

Reputations:
    Another way to do this (tested on my AW 15 R4), the way to downgrade is:
    1) Place the .RCV 1.11.0 BIOS file on the USB drive
    2) Rename to BIOS_IMG.RCV
    3) Insert into any USB port
    4) Turn off your pc
    5) Hold CTRL + ESC, press the power button, hold CTRL + ESC until the BIOS update screen opens. (Do nothing on the menu)
    6) Remove the USB drive from the computer and replace the BIOS_IMG.RCV file with the previous BIOS with the same name. (ex: 1.8.1.crv for BIOS_IMG.RCV) - On another PC, ok?
    7) Insert the USB drive again into the same USB port.
    8) Follow the process to update the BIOS.

In my case, undervolt is not working back again, but the BIOS is again 1.8.1 instead 1.11.1.

If anyone makes progress, share it! Here the temperature without undervolt is complicated!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  6. Mariohlp

Mariohlp Newbie

Reputations:
  7. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @S.K Do you mind if I copy this into the /r/Alienware FAQ? Or at least put a link to it, with credit to you of course.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Nope, why would I mind? The main purpose of this info was to help the community out and nothing more. Feel free to copy-paste all of it. ;)

cfe and Fire Tiger like this.
  9. AlkaliV2

AlkaliV2 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey can I ask a favor? You followed the guide above where it mentions going to EFI > Dell > Etc to get to where the BIOS.PRE file is located. Can you make me a list or show me a screenshot of the files in that directory?

I had a crash on my Alienware provided hard drive and that means I lost the recovery files and the Dell EFI folder so I'm going to try and create each directory manually and try to find the files that need to go in there to roll back my bios cause right now every USB version I connect it tells me I have an invalid header image. If you don't mind helping I would appreciate it!

10. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    This is such a great thread. It's nice to see all the involvement. Kudos @S.K

S.K, MogRules and c69k like this.