Force downgrade Alienware Area-51m Bios (or any alienware) to locked lower versions

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by S.K, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes

2. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    does Tobi eye work with 1.5.0? Also any work around for G-Sync

3. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys currently on
    Version: 1.10.0

Want to push back to 1.7 as I want to be able to under volt, but worried about bricking has anybody bricked going back to 1.7?

4. tuxedo187

tuxedo187 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    CONFIRMED: Works on Alienware m17, downgraded from 2.5.0 to 2.0.4 which allows undervolting and now i can undervolt without issues (apart from that the undervolt does not help much).

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I've downgraded many times, make sure you unblock any file you download first! Right click on the file, go to properties, then hit unblock from the bottom if it was blocked. To stop this stupid auto blocking of files for good, see: "Are you sure you want to run this file?" [Yes or No]

Here is what I recommend:

a) Uninstall Alienware Update AKA Dell Update and Dell SupportAssist otherwise they will keep nagging you to update your BIOS.

b) Flash the BIOS using the Recovery USB which you created using the guide I showed you earlier.

c) Immediately head into BIOS and make sure you disable Firmware Capsule Updates in the Security tab otherwise Windows will immediately upgrade your BIOS!

d) Once you're back in Windows, reflash the same 1.5.0 BIOS again but in Windows, I had to do that last time as I was getting weird behavior (I can't remember what exactly but once you have flashed 1.5.0 in recovery mode, you will be able to flash 1.5.0 again through Windows since you're not technically downgrading anymore you are just reinstalling the same BIOS) so do that to ensure the BIOS is 100% flashed correctly.

e) The moment the BIOS is flashed, go back into BIOS and load setup defaults then save and exit (from the last tab in the BIOS)

f) Now enter BIOS again, set your battery from Adaptive to Custom and tell it to start charge at 50% and stop charge at 90%. This will ensure the battery is never over charged and will thus prolong its life.

g) In the 2nd tab in the BIOS, I recommend turning OFF Power Share as that will drain your battery if your laptop had a USB device that needs power overnight (such as an external HDD or Game Pad)

h) While you're in the BIOS, ensure that Firmware Capsule updates are OFF

S.K and Fire Tiger like this.
  6. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    All done thanks bud !

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  7. NofearAngel

NofearAngel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there anyone who is able to edit a newer bios and stop the thermal throttling? so one can keep the security updates and new features like the better compatibility with new graphics cards in graphics amplifier? As if I do travel I dont want this problem of the graphics card throttling so easily.

8. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Nope. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1771#post-10981390

9. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I might be forgetting but does the earlier BIOS let you go above 87*C on the GPU?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1.5.0 will let you go above the new thermal limit of 75c, which has been set in pretty much every BIOS post 1.5.0.

Papusan likes this.