Force downgrade Alienware Area-51m Bios (or any alienware) to locked lower versions

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by S.K, Jul 4, 2019.

1. manitu

manitu Newbie

Reputations:
    fortunately this is not so; replacing the processor helped

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  2. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    so downgrading a bios kills CPU?

:s sounds intentional by AW

3. Pass_00

Pass_00 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

It seems this post would of been a key to me about an hour or so ago before I believe I bricked my 51m.

attempted downgrade 1.5.0 to 1.3.2 and I'm left with the 2 red and 1 blue.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  4. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry for your loss, hope you manage to fix it.

Try to place a CPU in a desktop Motherboard. Would be interesting to see the results.

5. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As for now the general concensus should be:PEOPLE NEVER REVERT TO BIOS 1.3.2. (3 people have broke their CPU and 1 his CPU and MB doing that on new system that came with bios 1.8.1 preinstalled).
    Is it possible it will not break the cpu if you decide to attemps=yes some have succed many times but with older system. Is the gain in performance worth a new CPU chips (600$usd) NO.

User------------------bios pr installed-----------built time----------dead parts going to 1.3.2

@Normimb-----------1.8.1---------------------------early 2020 ---------CPU
    @JonJadot ----------1.8.1---------------------------early 2020---------- CPU/MB (2 prts just in case)
    @Pass_00 ----------1.8.1----------------------------early 2020---------waiting for outcome
    @manitu -------------1.8.1----------------------------early 2020---------CPU

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    MogRules and DreDre like this.
  6. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I still don't get how it breaks the CPU. I'd love to actually do some testing vs just listening to Dell. Have people tried to reseat the CPU? Tried doing a recovery bios and going back to 1.8.1? Clearing CMOS? I mean I was a tech for years and I've only ever seen a handful of bad CPUs.

Papusan likes this.
  7. Normimb

Reputations:
    I can speak for my experience. Reseat the CPU, i oponed the laptop, removed the cpu and inspect put it back in and new paste, Is that reseating the CPU? CMOS, i disconnected the battery and CMOS battery from the motherboard for few minutes holding power button. Is that clearing CMOS? I did not try a recovery bios because we cannot acces the bios when this happens.

I personnaly confirmed twice wiht dell repair center that the issue was only with the CPU and not the MB. My laptop came back with a new CPU and bios 1.5.4 i don't know why.
    Hope this information can help.

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
  9. Normimb

Reputations:
    @manitu had the same issue, he is from russia and they have no warranty there. So he bought a new CPU and it solved his problem.
    I also find it strange that my laptop came back with bios 1.5.4 while i was flashing 1.3.2 from 1.7.3. It is still a mystery what is happening but for now, we should all avoid this 1.3.2 bios downgrade i believe.

@Pass_00 should attemp dell recovey right now. Just to be sure.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    @manitu, you replaced the CPU and the system booted? Did you try going back to the original CPU after? Have you tried the original cpu in anything else?

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.