For work, good build quality

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by fullsleeves, Sep 12, 2017.

1. fullsleeves

fullsleeves Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking for a new laptop for work. I would be taking it daily to and from the office. Thus, I'd like something that has good build quality above (almost) all else. Doesn't have to be a "rugged" notebook, but I'd like to be able to not worry when its in my rolling bag.

I was looking between the XPS13 or the Lenovo X1 carbon.

I do not need incredible specs, though these seem to come pretty well equipped anyway.

General Questions

1) What is your budget? $2500 CAD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? Canada

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Dell, Lenovo
    b. Dislike: Apple
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? no

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? light duty: word processing, internet, research, reviewing video

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? traveling daily

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? ~4

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? doesnt matter

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8),

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    na

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    doesnt matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? not really, build quality more important

15) When are you buying this laptop? now

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? 3 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? 128gb is plenty

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? no, but would be nice

==========
    END COPY

2. jwolf7722

jwolf7722 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thinkpad or Precision models have good build quality. I prefer Lenovo thinkpads build quality a little better. Used Lenovos t470 for a month. It was built like a tank.

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Honestly, most notebooks will live out their lives giving faithful service, so I wouldn't fret about it, but there's no accounting for fate. On occasion, sometimes "well-built" notebooks break. Whatever you get, you may want to consider adding accidental and on-site warranty coverage since you have a healthy budget. Then it'll be fixed quickly regardless of how it's damaged.

penguinslider likes this.