For those with slow 1.8" PATA drives wanting SATA...

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by User Retired 2, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vk_

vk_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Update to #178

Same adapter and SSD in HP 2510p:

[​IMG]

2. icfree

icfree Newbie

Reputations:
    in taobao,all have

3. TobaccoMan

TobaccoMan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. oke

oke Newbie

Reputations:
    Update to #178 and #181

Different adapter: Sintech type PA-ADPMS2S-2 mSATA to ZIF 40pin adapter card 1.8" (also based on JM20330 chip). Fits precisely 1.8" hdd space and has no SMD components below, at or near the mSata SSD (hence no risk on short-circuiting).

sentech_plextor.jpg

Same SSD (however newer firmware!): Plextor PX-128M5M mSata, firmware 1.04.

Notebook Dell Latitude D420 with ULV core duo U2500. OS is win7 ultimate 32bit with newest drivers installed. The device driver for ATA Channel 0 reports an ATA Disk in Ultra DMA Mode 5 (max 100MB/s). Write caching enabled and windows write cache flushing turned off. TRIM is enabled (command "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" returns '0').

Benchmark results:

cdm20140115.png

as-ssd-bench PLEXTOR PX-128M5 1.15.2014 9-25-51 PM.png

as-compr-bench PLEXTOR PX-128M5 1.15.2014 9-31-00 PM.png

5. felix_w

felix_w Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. oke

oke Newbie

Reputations:
    felix_w likes this.
  7. mamelon

mamelon Newbie

Reputations:
  8. KrypteX

KrypteX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello guys, long time no see...

I will quickly summarize from my experience and from what I've gathered around the web. The Sintech mSATA to ZIF adapter here:
    mini pci-e Msata SSD to 40pin ZIF adapter card as tohiba or hitachi zif hdd - Sintech adapter card and test tool
    has the JMicron JM20330 SATA to IDE bridge. The JM20330 chip, also found on other IDE-to-SATA adapters (mSATA, 1.8" and 2.5" versions) CAN pass TRIM correctly on the following SSDs:

Samsung PM810 mSATA or Samsung 470 1.8"/2.5" (same Samsung controller)
    Samsung PM800 1.8"
    Samsung 830 or PM830
    OCZ Nocti firmware 2.15 (SandForce controller)
    Kingston V+180 1.8" (actually a Toshiba HG3 SSD, most probably based on a Marvell controller)
    Kingston V+ 100 2.5" (idem)
    Crucial M4 / Micron C400, with firmwares 000F, 07MH (Marvell controller)
    Plextor M5M (Marvell controller)
    other SSDs (such as Lite-On) based on Marvell controllers

I personally had good results with the Samsung and Crucial/Micron SSDs.
    On the other hand, I can confirm that JM20330 has problems with passing TRIM (freezes or BSOD) with the following SSDs:

OCZ Nocti firmware 2.25
    Intel X18-M or X25-M (G2 controller) and Intel 320 (G3 controller)
    One instance of Crucial M4 with unknown firmware (possibly 04MH)

So my general conclusion is that SandForce and Intel controller-based SSDs do not play well with the JMicron JM20330 bridge. This is probably due to the way in which these controllers (and their firmwares) try to pass TRIM from the OS to the bridge (somehow differently than, say, Samsung or Marvell controllers do).

Finally, to make it clear, the SandForce-based and the Intel SSDs with G2 and G3 controllers (be it mSATA, 1.8" or 2.5") have problems with TRIM on JM20330. On the other hand, the older Intel G1 version does not have issues, because the G1 controller itself does not support TRIM, similarly to a regular HDD.

Equally important, for those who want to send manual TRIM commands to the SSD under Windows XP (or any OS lacking native TRIM support), you can use the following software:
    - Intel SSD Toolbox for the non-OEM Intel SSDs only
    - Samsung SSD Magician for the non-OEM Samsung SSDs only
    - the "Trigger TRIM" command in Anvil's Storage Utilities (free software) found here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?273661-Anvil-s-Storage-Utilities
    - the "Optimize TRIM" tool in Solid State Doctor software (not free) found here http://www.lc-tech.com/pc/solid-state-doctor/

Hope this helps !

*Note 1: These TRIM issues are not linked, as some may think, to AHCI being on or off. TRIM is an ATA command and is not dependent on AHCI being enabled. So TRIM can work perfectly well on an IDE drive too, if the drive supports TRIM. From the motherboard's point of view, the [JM20330 bridge+SATA SSD] combo appears as a regular IDE drive and TRIM commands can be sent to it over the IDE connection if the bridge itself supports the ATA command TRIM.
    So there is nothing mysterious about TRIM actually being passed over a regular IDE connection (btw, the Marvell IDE-SATA bridges 88SA8040 (SATA 1.5 Gb/s) and 88SA8052 (SATA 3.0 Gb/s), found in some IDE-SATA optical caddies, pass TRIM perfectly well, irrespective of the mounted SATA SSD).

*Note 2: It's obvious that the JMicron JM20330 IDE-SATA bridge does not support AHCI (in other words it works in IDE compatibility mode), that's why NCQ is turned off on a SATA SSD connected to this bridge (or any other IDE-SATA bridge for that matter). As a result the 4K performance is virtually equal in benchmarks irrespective of the Queue Depth employed (which would not be the case with a functional NCQ). One can always check that this is indeed the case with the performance of an SSD connected to any IDE-SATA bridge.

9. starfish7707

starfish7707 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello KrypteX,

thank you for your post! To supplement it:

1) Intel 310 mSATA SSDMAEMC080G2L
    I have this SSD (with G2 controller?) with a JM20330 mSATA-ZIF converter in my Dell D430 and I can confirm 100% that TRIM works under Linux (Ubuntu 13.10 but should work with any Kernel >=3 or I think as old as 2.6.33). I run it since some months and it also passed the TRIM test (with discard in /etc/fstab) described here: HOWTO: Check If TRIM On Ext4 Is Enabled And Working On Ubuntu And Other Distributions - Forked by Nicolay

Before I had Windows XP installed and I could run the Optimize command of the Intel SSD Toolbox (which invokes TRIM).

But I don't know whether the *G2L of the modelnumber signifies the G2 controller?

2) Intel 525 ssd 120gb mlc ssdmceac120b3
    I had this mSATA SSD shortly in my Dell D430 under Linux and also with this SSD TRIM worked (tested with discard in /etc/fstab) . I don't know whether TRIM works under Windows though.

ad Samsung Magician Optimization:
    About one year ago I did quite some research concerning mSATA SSDs with TRIM support under Windows XP and I learned that the Samsung SSD Magician software only offers the TRIM command with normal SATA SSDs (not the mSATA models).

The customer support of Samsung wrote me:
    "The Samsung Magician software is only compatible with 470, 830, and 840 series 2.5" SSDs. These are all retail units which come with Magician within the package. The drives that you have mentioned are not compatible with the software."

I asked them about support of the Samsung mSATAs MZ-MPA1280 and MZ-MPC1280. That Samsung Magician Software is not fully compatible with some mSATA models is also found here: Samsung PM830 SATA 3 256GB mSATA SSD Review - Ultrabooks To Gain Capacity and SATA 3 Speed | The SSD Review (search for Magician to find the right paragraph)

I don't know the current state of the Samsung Magician software and its compatibility with mSATA SSDs. Probably those incompatibilities from back then are solved but I would suggest that one should make sure that the SSD one plans to buy is definitely supported by the Magician software.

Back then I concluded that the only option is the Intel 310 SSD (the Intel 525 was far too expensive). Since I'm under Linux now I might have much more options. But the Intel 310 is performing quite well - I still can do everything on this old computer.

BTW: the often described problem under Windows XP that suddenly the OS blocks with the HDD activity light constantly on is not ultimately related to TRIM but to Windows XP falling back to PIO mode. You can force Windows XP to stay in UDMA mode (search for ssd pio udma Windows XP to find the registry changes). This worked for me up to 2,3 times a month when the computer locked up anyway and I had to do a hard reset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.