For those state apple does not promote "planned obsolescence"

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by kojack, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Nauzhror

Nauzhror Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Are you done making stupid strawman arguments?

I did not argue that polycarbonate is not plastic.

I stated that you can take a piece of metal, and coat it in plastic, and that doing so does not turn the underlying metal into plastic. It's still a metal chassis even if it's coated in plastic.

Seriously, how is this so hard for you to understand? Do you not natively speak English?

It's the same chassis as the Eluktroniks Mech-15.

Repeatedly referred to as aluminum in reviews. It's body is absolutely, 100%, primarily aluminum.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Lets calm down a little bit here.

The tongfang does have aluminum components and some polycarbonate components. The same can be said for the XPS, there are plastic case components as well.

Aivxtla and kojack like this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Facepalm

That's what I have been saying. It's not an aluminum chassis like the Macbook. It's plastic, and arguably better. However, he refuses to see it.

4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    polycarbonate is a plastic. aluminum polycarbonate is just like lenovo's magnesium -alloy chassis is a plastic-metal composite. Neither are solid cnc milled aluminum.

As far as I know, only Razer and Apple use CNC milled aluminum unibody chassis.

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Magnesium is a metal as well. Magnesium and aluminum can mix to form a metal, polycarbonate and aluminum cannot. They probably impregnated the polycarbonate with aluminum beads to color it. Again, it's not bad, just not metal.

6. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Taking a look at that laptop link it looks lite it's a mix of separate Aluminum albeit quite thin (much of the chassis) and Plastic (ie screen frame paneling, bottom cover etc) parts, which is isn't that uncommon. However I wouldn't put that at the same league as an XPS/Precision or MacBook body build quality wise.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    kojack likes this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Agreed.

8. moon angel

moon angel Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I agree with this for the most part. I would have thought they could still offer some servicing, maybe upgrade an SSD or replace a screen? Isn't the panel the same on the 2012 retina as the 2013 and 2014? But overall eight years is still quite good for Full Support.

My take on this has always been if you want a very thin and portable laptop you will have to deal with soldered components. If you want upgradable components you will need to buy a slightly thicker laptop, there are plenty of them about. Perhaps there are machines out there that do both, although I can't think of any off the top of my head.

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The XPS 15 (9500) and XPS 17 (9700) thankfully have replaceable ram and SSDs. The only thing soldered on them is the wifi card. They have other issues though that will preclude me from purchasing them.

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Razer Blade 15 and 17 have upgradable WiFi, RAM, and storage, with some models even having two M.2 slots available. The 13-inch Blade Stealth has soldered RAM, but you can change out the wireless card and SSD. So it's certainly possible to have user-serviceable components in a thin-and-light.

kojack likes this.