For those state apple does not promote "planned obsolescence"

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by kojack, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Nauzhror

Nauzhror Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Those are hardly equivalent. Alienware is overpriced, but not to anywhere near Apple levels.

$2,529 Alienware:
    i7-10750H
    32 GB DDR4 @ 2666 mhz
    RTX 2070 Super
    1.5 TB SSD
    300 hz 1080P Display

$2,399 Macbook Pro:
    i7-9750H
    16 GB DDR4 @ 2666 mhz
    Radeon Pro 5300M
    512 GB SSD
    16 inch retina display

Those are not remotely comparable.
    3x the storage in the alienware, double the RAM, slightly faster CPU, and the GPU comparison is laughable. 2070 Super is over 2.5x the performance of a Radeon 5300M.

2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I would not bother comparing alienware and apple. The only PC that can be compared to Apple, is the Razer blade seeing as these are the only two with CNC milled aluminum chassis. Even then, razer offers better performance per dollar. however, their support leaves something to be desired although you can circumvent this with a best buy or ms store warranty

3. Nauzhror

Reputations:
    Not sure how the chassis varies, but I have a Tongfang chassis that is labeled as aluminum polycarbonate, I doubt it's significantly different.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Polycarbonate = plastic.

Xps is directly compared with Macbook pros since they are directly aimed at the same customer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2020
  5. Nauzhror

Reputations:
    Aluminum is not plastic. The chassis is metal and rigid, it's just coated in polycarbonate so that it isn't easily scratched, and stays cool to the touch.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  7. Nauzhror

Reputations:
    No, it's definitely not. It's an aluminum chassis with a rubberized coating.

[​IMG]

That's not aluminum colored at all. It's black. If it was a plastic chassis it would not be nearly as thin as it is. Plastic chassis have to be thicker and heavier to be rigid, and even then they aren't anywhere near this rigid. This is a 4.17 pound, 0.78 inch thick laptop that's incredibly rigid with a body made of aluminum.

Maybe actually know what a laptop looks like or feels like before trying to tell its owner what it's made of.

A 16" macbook pro is 0.64 x 14.09 x 9.68 inches

This is 0.78 x 14.17 x 9.58, it's incredibly comparable.

Macbook pro weighs .13 pounds more as well.

Lighter, more powerful, and runs cooler. All around superior build quality IMO.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm telling you what it is. What it looks or feels like is moot. If they say it's aluminum polycarbonate it's not aluminum. Simple. See my previous post with the dictionary definition of polycarbonate. It is what it is. Polycarbonate is thermoplastic. Nothing more.

FYI, there is absolutely nothing wrong with polycarbonate, I think it's the best material for most tech since it's light and strong. My lumia 1020 was poly, and was the best, most durable phone I ever owned. If felt premium and metallic, but was way better, durability wise. Just because it's plastic don't make it cheap.

9. Nauzhror

Reputations:
    You seem to not understand that you can take a metal chassis, and coat it in polycarbonate. That does not make it a plastic chassis.

You're not telling me what it is. You're, incorrectly, telling me what you think it is.

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Polycarbonate is freaking plastic. :confused: I am telling you exactly what it is. You refuse to comprehend what that is. Aluminum is not polycarbonate.