For those state apple does not promote "planned obsolescence"

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by kojack, Jun 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Alienware is not competiton for macbooks. XPS is.

apple macbook pro 13 with 32gb 1tb ssd and i7 - 3,399.00 can dollars
    https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/buy-m...-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-3.8ghz-1tb#

Dell XPS new 13 32gb 1tb ssd and i7 - 2,155.00 can dollars.
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/s...h-laptop/spd/xps-13-9300-laptop/xn9300cto242s

SO, no. the apple tax is alive and well if you compare "apples" to "apples".

Again apples to apples

xps 15 with 2tb of SSD 64gb ram is 2,988.00 canadian
    apple macbook pro 16 64gb ran 2tb of SSD is 4999.00 Canadian.

2. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sure if you're comparing custom builds it costs more. In general no one buys custom builds but rather either the standard 16" or the standard 13". More often than not most people wait for sales as I do so that's not a fair comparison.

EG:
    https://slickdeals.net/f/14094380-a...m-256gb-ssd-1100-free-shipping?src=SiteSearch

https://slickdeals.net/f/14069651-a...radeon-pro-5500m-2299-free-s-h?src=SiteSearch

XPS buyers are not typically Mac buyers either. If you're buying high end you're buying high end and XPS ain't it. Precision maybe.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You are wrong but I'm done with arguing.

4. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not servicing a 10 year old laptop has nothing to do with planned obsolescence.

Something my 9 year old nephew would say ;)

saturnotaku likes this.
  5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I’m not Apple’s fan by any means, but this isn’t really fair to call them out on. I don’t know a single PC vendor that supports products for longer than 5-6 years, and Apple managed to exceed that to support a product for nearly 8 years. Dell was out of critical M18x R2 parts as early as 2015, just 3 short years after introducing the machine.

Soldering RAM and solid state drives and coding the home button to the phone would be far more important points to draw ire to.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The message I got was you own one of these don't bring it to a repair center for anything. As I mentioned before. Last I checked most everything in the 12 mbp is serviceable. No apple does not need to supply parts. But the message was don't fix it if anything goes wrong, buy our new model you can't fix.

No its something a sane person would say. He was wrong. Mbp potential buyer are also xps buyers if they are not drinking apple Kool aid and are actually shopping based on specs and comparisons. So, I'm done with arguing with him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2020
  7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    And that is correct. Neither Apple nor its authorized service providers will work on those systems after June 30. This has been the company's standard operating procedure with literally every computer it has ever made. That doesn't mean you can't take it to an independent shop for them to attempt a repair.

Retina and non-retina versions have replaceable storage. The latter have user-serviceable RAM and optical drives.

You're conflating the tone of the article with what Apple's actual policy is, which again I will remind you, is not new.

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Again, I thought that at this point the only places who were allowed to repair apple products were authorized service providers. That they flattened independent repair shops from doing repairs on apple products. More or less they put software snoops in apple devices to detect non "apple authorized" parts.

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    But if the ram and storage are upgradeable than they can be worked on by an independent facility. Apple blocks the right to repair other ways, but this isn't one...

It's too bad Dell is following in the footsteps of apple when it comes to soldering everything on, it puts it in the same unrepairable category. I'm going to sell my 7390 because I just don't want to deal with it.

jclausius and saturnotaku like this.
  10. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    OK. I thought they were blocking all unauthorized repairs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.