For those state apple does not promote "planned obsolescence"

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by kojack, Jun 1, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    https://www.imore.com/apple-might-b...reason-finally-upgrade-their-2012-macbook-pro

Listing a perfectly capable notebook as "obsolete" therefore, giving owners no way of fixing because they are not being supported by apple repair centers or partners, and I am sure no more OS updates.

I love their business model. Sell ridiculously overpriced laptop. Make owner think it's the best thing since sliced bread for 5 years, then slowly throw them under the bus.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Kyle likes this.
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Apple has been doing this since time immemorial. Does it suck? Yeah, but let's not pretend it's a recent development. And it's not as if the computer will magically stop working the day it's put on these lists. Also, do you have the same vitriol toward companies like Samsung who barely support their phones for 2-3 years?

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes actually. Samsung phones are terrible. actually most anything running android. I have a galaxy note on my desk that I shelled out a buttload of money for, and it's now a paperweight with my macbook. Apple has the phone market nailed. since they promote long term usage of their phones. The exact opposite of what they promote on their PC side. As I mentioned earlier, my 2007 acer can download, install and run windows 10 2004. All drivers update and I have a completely functional system. Apple, after 5 or so years. you have a paperweight. My 2007 macbook is junk at this point except for collectors. also, they force you to not be able to download software you paid hundreds of dollars for. It's terrible. You pay mental amounts of money for a macbook, and 5 years later you might as well throw it in the dumpster.

my 2007 acer was 200 dollars cheaper than my macbook in 2007, meanwhile, today, it's still 100 percent usable. Every port, every function every piece of software. Now, please tell me where the value is. Oh, I know. that glowing apple logo in starbucks, right. that's where the value is.

Mr. Fox and jclausius like this.
  4. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You're upset about Apple discontinuing parts support for a 10 year old laptop? Pray tell, name another OEM who maintains parts inventory for a 10 year old product? Could it be that maybe they cant source parts anymore because, oh I don't know Intel stopped making Sandybridge parts years ago?

saturnotaku and custom90gt like this.
  5. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I agree with @Sentential, the laptop is coming up on 10 years old. For anyone who utilizes their computer, that's for sure obsolete. No manufacturer carries parts for laptops 10 years later and they won't repair them. If your 3 year old Dell laptop breaks and you have a warranty, they will just upgrade you to a newer laptop. This solution is far cheaper than making enough inventory and storing it to support laptops greater than 3 years.

Yes your 2007 Acer is still usable to you, but that is YOU. I wouldn't buy an Apple product, they don't peak my interest in any way, but that is ME...

saturnotaku likes this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can still source parts that are NEW for most any other laptop. I can order new battery, HD, ram and more for my 2007 acer, why stop getting them to the private repair stores or directing customers to them? PREY TELL!!!!!

jclausius likes this.
  7. Sentential

Reputations:
    Basically this

You do realize that batteries are interchangeable and are not patented or custom designed in such a way that 3rd parties can manufacture them. This isn't the case for logic boards and so forth and as stated by the previous poster those items are not easily made Apple or anyone. All you're doing is creating click-bait and perpetuating the notion that Apple is bad when that simply isn't the case. Furthermore all the interchangeable parts you reference are replacable on that model including the battery and HDD.

saturnotaku likes this.
  8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just because you can't download the absolute most current operating system on a computer doesn't mean it all of a sudden stops working.

Citation needed.

People pay insane amounts of money for laptops like the Razer Blade, Dell XPS, Asus Zenbook, all of which have similar/varying degrees of parts that cannot be upgraded so they will be in the exact same position. Apple was just ahead of the curve. Again, doesn't make it right, but you can't pretend to be outraged at Apple when this is happening across the industry.

9. Sentential

Reputations:
    Going to second this, while the hardware is better the most common 15" Alienware is ~$2500 (i7/2060) and the equivalent system from Apple is also around $2500 (RX5500/512/i7)

saturnotaku likes this.
  10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I totally understand that logic boards are not available but apple is basically telling people who have these devices, to piss off and not visit our repair centers for anything. HDD failures? nope, want to add ram? NOPE. Maybe a new battery? you are SOL!