Foam dam barriers for Liquid Metal safety insurance guide.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Falkentyne, May 21, 2018.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's not the point.
    Some people carry their laptops around on buses, on their backpacks, bicycles, wherever. It's advisable to be smart and have some extra protection. Just because you never had a problem doesn't mean others won't. I've seen plenty of cases where someone bumped or dropped their backpack and their temps shot up to 100C or LM wound up getting outside of the heatsink. Better to do things the right way instead of trying to live life on the edge in a careless way.

jaybee83, jclausius and yrekabakery like this.
  2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Maybe the CLU he used was the old formula that wasn’t as runny. I didn’t have any issues with runoff when using that on previous systems which were moved around fairly often. This was years ago, I didn’t even know about foam dams back then. Nowadays I wouldn’t use the newer, runnier CLU/Conductonaut without protection because when left unsealed, I have seen it get into places that could potentially be problematic.

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I carried my M18x R2 to and from clas for 3 years with CLU and no foam barrier and never had a problem.

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm aware of that.
    I'm also aware of another alienware user having the LM spill outside the heatsink after a hard drop when he was traveling.
    You can't base your 1 sample experiences and then extrapolate how every other system in the world will reply based on your sample.
    What's the drawback of FREE insurance?
    Time? Annoyance?
    I'm not telling YOU to use a foam dam. It's your laptop. I'm saying it's silly to NOT take free insurance with no strings attached.

5. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I used K5 pro. Better than foam imo.

jaybee83 likes this.
  6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    im guessing that depends on the circumstances, i.e. how often u travel and shift the position of the laptop...

but also quite messy i can imagine haha. or is it possible to reuse it?

7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Every day to and from school, between classes, to library and back to home, etc.... quite a bit of travel and 90 degree shifts from laying horizontal on a desk to being stored straight up on its side while in transit in my backpack.

jaybee83 likes this.
  8. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Messy?, not really due to it's gummy high viscosity characteristics and it's easy to clean and apply. You can use arcticlean or alcohol. For easy use as a barrier, fill your empty thermal paste container with K5 pro and just apply like a normal thermal paste to the surrounding corner of gPU or cpu ihs (in case of clevo, appliction should be on the CPU load plate, retainer or whatever it's called). Make sure you put enough so that the paste touches the heat-sink.

Since you'll be using a small amount no need to worry of it's re-usability but i'm pretty sure you can use it again.

jaybee83 likes this.
  9. oneintheblack

oneintheblack Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any updates on your foam?

Falkentyne likes this.
  10. iron_megalith

iron_megalith Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I didn't push through with the purchase. I returned my unit because of the Area-51m. I'll see if I can apply this on the Area-51m.

oneintheblack likes this.