Foam dam barriers for Liquid Metal safety insurance guide.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Falkentyne, May 21, 2018.

1. slim shady

slim shady Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    could you upload a photo of the same.Also which liquid tape / conformal coating do you use and how do you apply it ?

2. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    u can basically just use nail polish :)

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

3. jl1728

jl1728 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Silicone-Modified-Conformal/dp/B008O9YIV6

You paint it on, its a thin liquid. Difficult to goof up, just don't get it on sockets or on heatsinks. Nail polish does also work, although for sure it goes on thicker. With conformal coating you usually put a few coats on, waiting a while for it to dry in between coats.

4. iron_megalith

iron_megalith Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi. Just want to ask how far off the foams are from the die. Also I have seen some people put foam+electrical tape. Would this affect the contact between the die and the heatsink too much?

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If the foam is polyurethane 10 PPI-20 PPI, it shouldn't at all, as long as it's not too thick (you can always trim it). I believe the correct term may be " reticulated polyurethane foam ".

6. iron_megalith

Reputations:
    Any specific foam you would recommend?

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/i...5L8p7KHtItu6_1IjwOHVJbZkhaCpz6AMaAkCxEALw_wcB

I saw this but was looking for information regarding operating temperatures.

7. iron_megalith

Reputations:
    I've decided to go with these two. I'll decide between the two which one I'm more comfortable with.

.125" x 38" x 46" Black 10 PPI Reticulated Polyurethane Foam Sheet
    https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=105396
    .125" x 52" x 66" Charcoal 20 PPI Reticulated Polyurethane Foam Sheet
    https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=105401

Hopefully, there 20 PPI foam is compressible and has very little resistance. I'm not too comfortable with the 10 PPI as it feels like the pores are quite big for LM spills to pass through.

oneintheblack likes this.
  8. redash

redash Newbie

Reputations:
    Would a thermal pad work instead of foam?

"Arctic 4237 - Thermal Pad 145 x 145 x 0.5 mm | Thermal Pad for All CPU Coolers | Efficient Thermal Conductivity | Gap Filler | Safe Handling | Easy to Apply"
    It does suggest gap filler as a possible use, and 0.5mm should compress enough.

Has anyone tried this?

9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I have never used dams on any of the 7 laptops that have CLU on them, and I've never had a problem.....this is a non issue as long as you aren't using globs of liquid metal.

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not advisable.
    The height of the core over the substrate is less than 0.5mm, which means it doesn't matter how much the Arctic pads will compress--you are going to be adding resistance to the heatsink! This interferes with contact and could prevent the heatsink from even touching the CPU! Do not do this!

You would be better off using some old thick paste like Ceramique as a barrier than using a pad (as messy as that will be). Better to just go get some very compressible light foam. I'm sure there is a hobby or hardware store somewhere in your area.

Papusan likes this.