Foam dam barriers for Liquid Metal safety insurance guide.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Falkentyne, May 21, 2018.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah I don't think one needs to go overboard on the clear nail varnish. 1 or 2 coats seems to be enough, spread thinly and letting it dry between coats. It doesn't break down easily from what I've seen, and is supposedly temperature resistant up to 120C.

2. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I usually require LM to be removed before transport when I buy a system (I know I’m going to end up redoing it myself just to be sure) and when selling systems I usually remove it unless the buyer wants it just to be safe.

Most times I end up using nanogrease except for certain situations on laptops where the temps are just out of bounds or I’m trying to tame the fan noise.

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Always good advice. Even with foam dam barriers ensuring 100% success of no damage, you can still have high temp issues from LM shifting and leaving hot spots. The foam dams however ensure a 99% chance of no damage or magic smoke from transport.

KY_BULLET and Dr. AMK like this.
  4. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    where did that 1 % go from the second to the third sentence? :D

btw, i went out shopping with the lady last weekend to start off her new balcony greenery project (happy gf/wife, happy life i always say! so totally worth the investment ;)) and in one of the gardening centers i found a whole pile of foam just lying around waiting to be thrown in the trash. so naturally, i grabbed a large sheet of it right away :cool: lets see what i can do with that :p

5. cutmoney

cutmoney Newbie

Reputations:
  6. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    1mm thick means nothing if it isn't compressible with no resistance.
    The space between a CPU housing and the CPU slug raised up is like 0.2mm !
    If this cannot be compressed to that level with no effort, it will completely ruin heatsink pressure.

Vistar Shook, jaybee83 and Papusan like this.
  7. Lanecero

Lanecero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've had good luck so far with liberally applying conformal coating and using heat resistant electrical tape around the cpu ang gpu die. Is the foam really necessary?

8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    If you plan on carrying the laptop around with you in a backpack or airplane, absolutely YES.
    If you use it only as a home desktop replacement and don't ever have it carried or bumped while vertical or sideways, then you can get away with the Super 33+ tape. I would apply a few extra layers however just for safety (reducing the gap around the CPU BGA housing to the areas of the heatsink not touching the CPU is always a good thing...less space means less chances of stray conductive balls of doom roaming around running Amok like Thor the God of Thunder.

Vistar Shook and jaybee83 like this.
  9. Lanecero

Lanecero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Best explanation I could have hoped for. lol. Well honestly I'm in no hurry to repeat the hell i went through doing it to my laptop last time. But if I ever have to do another system I'll take this threads advice and use the foam. For now I'll just pray nothing frys in my laptop mid transport.

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    How did it work out? I'm curious because it is inexpensive and easy for anyone to get.

Dr. AMK likes this.