Foam dam barriers for Liquid Metal safety insurance guide.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Falkentyne, May 21, 2018.

1. exmeaguy

exmeaguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wouldn't another option be to put a small bead of thermal paste like IC Diamond around the chip as a dam?

2. Lumlx

Lumlx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You would need quite a lot of it to fill gap which would make it expensive. Also over time it would dry out.

jaybee83 and oneintheblack like this.
  3. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thats why k5 pro is the best for this puropse, as this paste is used as a replacment for thermalpads

4. AlphaG

AlphaG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    While I have played with LM on desktops for years, I’m looking at my first repaste of a laptop that has a brain too big for its britches...

I’ve looked over all the great info here and plan to employ a dam of some sort. I do have some highly compressible foam I can use but the porosity has me a bit concerned as to its ability to contain the LM.

I wonder has anyone considered a square cutout of a highly compressible 0.5mm thermal pad as a barrier? I was thinking something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-4237-Efficient-Conductivity-Handling/dp/B00UYTTLI4

If cut only 1-2mm wide and only large enough to fit around the CPU die with 1-2mm gap, this might be compressible to 0.2 to 0.3mm pretty easily, though not as easily as open cell foam discussed here. If you think about it, the heat sink assembly is responsible for compressing a much larger area of thermal pads, granted outside of the CPU and GPU mounting screws. This would also serve the purpose of limiting oxygen exposure to the CPU-LM-heatsink interface, limiting corrosion if LM is susceptible to oxidation.

Just some thoughts...

5. oneintheblack

oneintheblack Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think you could do a mock try. Use normal paste with thermal pads as the barrier, test temps before and after to see if your getting the same heat sink pressure...

If I were to use that method, I would have at least one pad overhang the heat sink. (enough to grab with fingers or tweezers). That way you could give it a light tug to make sure it has enough pressure to work as a barrier, or if it's just loosely moving around.

6. AlphaG

AlphaG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good suggestions. Laptop arrives next week so we will see what baseline is and then go from there. I did order the arctic cooling pads linked above, as well as Gelid GC Extreme thermal pads, which are apparently being shipped from the UK. Who knows when they will get here.

jaybee83 likes this.
  7. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    interesting! i had no idea Gelid offered thermal pads, nice! up to 3 mm thickness available and 12 W/mK thermal conductivity, sounds pretty sweet :)

8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This won't work as well as you might think. The BGA silicon is only 0.2mm above the housing (or substrate whatever it's called). It's going to add resistance to heatsink pressure and -any- resistance added is bad on laptops. May want to do a temp test without the pads then with, to see if you have bad results first.

Vasudev and jaybee83 like this.
  9. binchunsu

binchunsu Newbie

Reputations:
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Dr. AMK and binchunsu like this.