FN-CTRL swap on all Lenovo laptops [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by middleton, Apr 8, 2010.

1. k-lin

k-lin Newbie

Reputations:
    hello middleton, thanks for your time and for making the key swapping possible!

[sorry for the previous post, now it is working like a charm!, I will try to update the BIOS to 2.11 - 1.07 later today! ]

THANKS AGAIN! :D

2. MastahRiz

MastahRiz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome that someone finally fixed this. Thanks a ton middleton!

3. middleton

middleton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I spent three weeks digging ThinkPad's keyboard handling code and now I can say the following: improvement of Fn/Numlock features is possible. But there are two little problems:

1) When I analyzed Embedded Controller's code for the first time, it was very interesting. In other words it was a challenge for my genius :D whether I am capable to get success resolving the problem which nobody in the world has solved yet. And when I realized the problem had solved, I lost all my interest in any further improvement of FN key work.
    For me now it's not а funny entertainment just a routine work. Lenovo doesn't pay me for fixing their bugs, I don't want to do their job for free. I hope you understand me.

2) I've never seen or touched any lenovo laptop in real life. It's very difficult to modify ThinkPad's firmware if you don't have a laptop at hand. If I had had some ThinkPad I would have spent much less than three weeks creating CTRL-FN patch. But I was forced to create a patch by e-mail, communicating with a real owner of ThinkPad T500.
    This experience helped me to understand one simple thing: resolving such a complex problem by email takes a lot of time and efforts.

4. ferry

ferry Newbie

Reputations:
    The patched BIOS for x200s works like a charm. Thanks a lot, middleton!

By the way, it is *really* good to know that the /s switch makes the flasher run in the background before you start disassembling the exe to learn what the /s actually does and why is it not doing anything on you machine :) Checking the log file and waiting until it is full and the flasher process is away is the way to go.

--- Ferda

5. Moopz

Moopz Newbie

Reputations:
    Had to use the -s command as well, but works flawlessly now. Thank you so much <3

6. tata668

tata668 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow, thanks SO MUCH middleton!!

I applied your fix on my T400 and it works perfectly!

7. MastahRiz

Reputations:
    Do you guys also switch the keys on the keyboard around afterwards or do they not fit properly?

8. tata668

tata668 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The CTRL key is bigger than the Fn, at least on my T400. I don't think you could switch them.

This would work though ;) :

[​IMG]

9. MastahRiz

Reputations:
    ^^Doh!!

10. pem69

pem69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow. Now I'm even more impressed at your success! Fixing the BIOS is amazing enough, bit without having ever used one for testing? My hat is off to you, sir!

I completely understand not wanting to do all the extra work to fix problems. I had been under the impression that it was a labor of love and/or frustration; you wanted it fixed for yourself, so you worked on it and figured it out. Since it's not, it's not at all surprising you don't want to fix any of the other issues. Routine work is definitely not fun - and we're all thankful (or, at least, I am) that you're willing to do as much as your have.

Is there any chance you'd be willing to pass on what you've learned, and how you made the changes you've done? Maybe someone else will pick up the mantle, and take a stab at the other problems. (I can hope, right?)