FN-CTRL swap on all Lenovo laptops [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by middleton, Apr 8, 2010.

1. cristianadam

cristianadam Newbie

Reputations:
    If the windows update (WINUPTP.EXE) doesn't work for you, there is an option to patch the ISO file from Lenovo.

I described this method here: Cristian Adam's: Lenovo Fn-Ctrl Swap

You need to have the original bios file (something like $0a6a000.fl1), the patched file and the ISO file!

2. Paul.

Paul. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you gotten past the "Driver loading failed" error? I am having the same problem with the middleton BIOS.

I can't find instructions for WINUPTP so I don't know what I might have done wrong. I ran it from the hard drive at the command line in the same directory as everything else in the middleton .RAR package, with no parameters

Thanks, -Paul

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  3. hoofwall

hoofwall Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you dude, it worked perfectly and I created this account just to express that and my gratitude to you! I was super bummed upon finding out that as a Lenovo Thinkpad w500 user Lenovo just never gave the computer the ability to swap the keys straight from the bios, unlike from my understanding all of the Thinkpads that proceed it. My hand was hurting from the first day I tried using it- and only lightly at that since all I was doing was installing, updating and configuring programs and settings(and system restoring a LOT since I was having trouble with my drivers) and I was really on the fence about whether or not using this laptop for likely many, many years would be worth it just because of the function key's replacing the ctrl key placement. Then I discovered this! It's amazing! I thought I screwed myself on my own too, because when I received this laptop yesterday the bios was from 2009 but I updated it to the latest- 2012- version as I saw a user on another website claim that the W500 is among those that come with the ability to swap ctrl and function keys built into the bios. The user was wrong... I should have done more research, and then I'd have found you and definite confirmation that the claim that enticed me was wrong. I thought I ruined my laptop's experience for myself but you have and provided a method to get around my updating my bios, which was awesome. Thank you so much. I read the first four or so pages of this thread before just deciding to go through with updating using your methods, and I saw that you lost motivation to do this type of stuff with Thinkpads, but you are grateful that your work is appreciated. I definitely appreciate it too! This totally changes how I feel about my laptop and will feel about it for the better for so far into the future. Thank you dude.

4. clay164

clay164 Newbie

Reputations:
    Grand merci, middleton!

I have Lenovo ThinkPad R61 8920.

I solved the problem Fn-Ctrl, but it was difficult.

There is no way to archive BIOS. I found it here.

There need an image #2.img in a folder "BIOS update + CTRL-FN swap". Born CD or DVD and boot from this disk.

Sorry for Google Translate. )

5. London_cal_93

London_cal_93 Newbie

Reputations:
    Could anyone explain to me step by step how to install this? I have the t400 thinkpad and I use excel, and shortcuts in general quite often. However, I don't know *anything* about bios', coding etc and I don't want to download it until I know what's going to happen next.
    Thank you for doing this by the way, middleton, really appreciated! I bought a refurbished t400 and it was one of the first things I noticed. I'm glad you have a fix :)

6. Ahmad Beetar

Ahmad Beetar Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have Lavie Z and I don't have the option of swapping Fn Ctrl... Any solution for this (because I didn't found my series in the first post).

One more thing: is there a way to change the FWD Space button, next to backspace, with another backspace. I hit that by mistake like a million times. I tried some apps but they ended up disabling my space bar too!

Thanks

7. J Sharma

J Sharma Newbie

Reputations:
    How to Swap Fn and CTRL keys in Lenovo E40-80 i5 Laptop? As Physical swap is not possible due to key size difference.

I have tried the possible methods like looking at BIOS, as suggested by other forums. But the BIOS in my laptop doesn't have Configuration for Keyboard or anything else.

Please provide some workaround if anyone has!

8. Win_XP

Win_XP Newbie

Reputations:
    Works perfect on T400, thanks!

Here's how to flash it:

I'm running Windows 8.1 and the flash.bat didn't work, so I open the WINUPTP.EXE file located in the same directory and follow the instructions, wait a minute or so to finish, reboot and you're done!

9. FinkPad

FinkPad Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    FN-Ctrol swap is pointless.

A better and easier swap would be CapLock-Ctrol swap. Much better result, because out of all three buttons, the caplock is the least used one.