FN-CTRL swap on all Lenovo laptops [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by middleton, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Solutor

The Solutor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The edge 11 had that function too.

Speaking about edge notebooks could be nice to have the option to invert the function key behavior in the classic thinkpads like on the Edges...

2. middleton

middleton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Never heard X201 tablet has any SATA II issues. As for other mods:

- You can easily add dual-IDA support using kizwan's guide.

- Then go here and ask for the "whitelist + SLIC 2.1" mod.

All these mods are well documented, so I think there should be no problems with them. Sorry but don't have time now for new BIOS mods.

3. yensama

yensama Newbie

Reputations:
    @middleton

I have had a bit of a glitch and I would like to ask you something. Sorry for the very long post.

First off, I am using Ideapad y460p(asian keyboard) and I am one of those want to do something about FN-CTRL key. I search and eventually got linked to here. I then read your post and without thinking much I downloaded and processed. (I download programs, batches etc all the time, knowing very little that BIOS is quite a different thing.)

Everything went fine during installation. However, when it tries to restart, everything just freeze there. After the shutdown screen, the screen went black(not lit), power sign and others are still on but not flashing. It is like when a computer crashes or freezes from something. I was not panic until here.

But after this I try the usual thing, pressing keys, power button, but got no respond. So I thought the program crashed during install or something so I did a hard shutdown(long press power button), but it did not respond. I tried everything i knew but there werent much, so I had no choice but to pull out the battery and put it back in.

The computer starts and run window, however many devices seem to be missing (VGA device etc). I didnt know what to do so i did a system restore. I didnt even test if the FN-CRTL key did swop.

The computer restored fine, and the key did in fact swop. But it worries me since I never did any of these, like altering bios, changing keys or pulling off batteries while notebook is still on. Also the keyboard is not pure english (I dont know if this changes anything).

My question is this, should I be concerned with anything? I mean everything seems to be working as it should. Is there any way to test whether something is out of place?

Many many thanks :)

4. middleton

Reputations:
    Flashing BIOS is quite a risky thing even using an official BIOS (here is an example). Usually everything goes smoothly but sometimes you get a bricked machine. Your case is something average between the two above-mentioned cases.

If everything works as it should, then I see no reason for panic.

5. yensama

yensama Newbie

Reputations:
    I didnt know there is such risk flashing BIOS, and even for he official ones?? I have been into computer for 20 years, I guess I am still a newbie :p

As for mine, everything is working as it should so far, and I got fn-ctrl key swop so I am happy. Thank for the respond and also for the patch :)

6. greeesha

greeesha Newbie

Reputations:
  7. middleton

Reputations:
    If you have already installed the FN-CTRL patch, then you may safely flash any future official BIOS updates provided that ECP versions of current and new BIOS are the same. In your case ECP is not changed (it's version 1.07 still), so nothing can stop you from updating BIOS. Don't worry the swap will keep on working with the latest v2.27 firmware.

8. egalus

egalus Newbie

Reputations:
    As my T61 needs service (because of a faulty lan port) I want to revert the ctrl+fn swap. Till today I had the 2.27 version of middletons lovely Ultimate R61/T61/X61/X300 BIOS (inc SATA-II) installed to get full speed from my ssd and to swap ctrl and fn.

I thought just flashing the newest official lenovo t61 bios (2.29) would do the trick and revert the ctrl+fn swap, but that did not work.
    Than I tried any of the 3 bios cd images found in Dual-IDA_SATA-II_Whitelist_SLIC21_Thermal_Sensing_Error_ThinkPad_T61_T61p_BIOS_(2.29-1.08).rar as at least one of them should be without cn+fn swap. But that did not work either.
    Than I found this thread and tried to follow the procedure mentioned in the first post and only run into troubles.
    a) I only have windows 7 x64 and two linux installs on the ssd
    b) I have an aged xp install on my hdd in the ultrabay
    As the first post explicitely mentions the winuptp I booted the old windows xp (hdds are awfully slow ;) ), but flash.but immediately returned.
    So I checked winuptp.log and it says that the check for ac power and battery failed and thats it.
    But my 9cell battery is loaded at 100% and ac power is connected.

I than used system update to update the power manager - no change.
    So now I am stuck with ctrl+fn swap and the lenovo technician will visit me on friday.
    Any advice on how to switch back to stock lenovo bios and behaviour is greatly appreciated.

Maybe there is a way to revert ctrl+fn swap with the use of a boot cd, too, that I did not find?

Regards,
    Norbert

P.S.: As I read somewhere that middleton adviced to disconnect ac, remove the battery and press power for 10 seconds to reset the embedded controller to overcome the problem that fn+cntrl swap did not work for someone, I also tried that - still no change.

9. middleton

Reputations:
    Just email me (see the address here). I'll send you ISO image that solves your problem.

10. lemko

lemko Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I'm trying to flash my X61s bios with fn swap, using this method.

#1.iso went fine, although it hasn't swapped the keys

and trying to flash it with #2 gives me
    "An update is not necessary at this time. The process has been canceled"

Is this related to using pendrive instead?

thanks,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.