Flush USB 3.0 Expresscard Adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by damaph, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    Did anyone disassemble any of these with external power connector? Do they have a voltage regulator or some protection circuity or whatsoever?

The idea is to take a 3-port card and solder +5V from one of the usb 2.0 ports directly to it.

2. snn47

snn47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    my 2c you can use an USB 3.0 expresscard without external power if you protect it using an USB 3.0 Hub with externalpower supply. I use an Uspeed 7 port and an Anker 9+1 Hub on my zBook.
    Get an USB 3.0 expresscard that has a NEC now Renesas controller which were imho the only reliable controller arround before USB 3.0 came more accepted. I own the Logilink2port PC0055.

Has anyone seen Carbus USB 3.0 controller lately?

3. Starlight5

Reputations:
    snn47, cables for additional power is something I would like
    to avoid. So far I use one of my USB ports to power the card, it results in 2xUSB3.0+3xUSB2.0, which is enough. However, I have to disconnect the cable everytime I put the notebook in the bag and connect it back when I connect external USB3.0 hdds. That gives me an idea of using one of +5V wires from a (unused) dockstation port.

4. snn47

snn47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well how about getting a new power supply that provides an additional 5V output, which is normally around 2A.

5. Starlight5

Reputations:
    snn47, my Coolermaster 120W PSU with 2xUSB refuses to provide power to this card. Anyway, I decided to leave it as is. Another stupid question - how does such adapter affect battery life, when nothing is plugged? Anyone performed tests on the subject?