Flush USB 3.0 Expresscard Adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by damaph, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There are not precision devices. They are inexpensive stamped product that try to fill a gap for the precious few users that still use them. They're remnants of a never quite highly utilized slot. The likelihood of you getting one that works is about 50/50. If you get any better than that, consider yourself lucky.

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. MarkraM

MarkraM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    :S
    seems like your advice is something like "Buy the cheapest you can find and...good luck!" :D
    i'll see what to do, thank you for your feedback.

3. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Or look for a seller that seems to have a decent return policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. MarkraM

MarkraM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    After some web searching i found a card that seems a little better (at least from the opinions i read about it) than other cheap products.
    It's this Targus product: Targus Europa | ACA34EU – Targus USB 3.0 Express Card Adapter

It has one usb (enough for me) and one DC Power jack.

Can anybody tell me what's the point of having a DC Power jack? i'm not an expert, but the usb should already provide the power for a 2.5" Hard Drive...
    Am i Wrong?

Does anybody know this card and can share an opinion? :)

5. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Depends on the hard drive model. The more portable ones receive power over USB; others require power separately.

6. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I second the previous opinion. I have an Iomega eGo and without external power is flaky at best. it comes with a second USB plug to get extra power.

The power jack is meant to be connected to another USB port as a source of extra power, for those hard drives that take more than what the card can natively supply and come with only a single connector.

As for the AKE being being 'cheap'... I have two of the 54mm model and they both work flawlessly. The only problem is the USB connector, it tends to come off. I punched some dents on the outside casing to retain the connector better, and it works well (see picture).

AKE 54mm USB 3.0 Card Dimpled USB Conector Mod_S.jpg

7. MarkraM

MarkraM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you for sharing!!
    At first i was looking for an AKE card too, but than i found the opinion of a guy that bouth it and coulnd't get it to work on the laptop model i have too.
    So i searched for different models.

Forgive me but i didn't understand if your final opinion on the product i linked is positive or not, do you think that a Usb + DC power jack can be better than 2 Usb port??

To take advantage of the DC power jack i think i need a cable like this, right?
    usb_pwr.jpg
    But my question is...
    Which is the difference with a cable like this? (in case i buy a 2 usb card of course.)
    USB-YCABLE01.jpg

8. MarkraM

MarkraM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I know this, but i think that a separate power source can also be provided from a second USB port, using a Y-Cable, right?
    what i do not understand is if there's an advantage in having a DC power jack over a second USB port in the card.

9. MarkraM

MarkraM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i did some more research about those cards and i ended up with this:
    The expresscard connection is not able to provide the 5V that's usually given by a usb port.
    That's why, with expresscard adapters, the connection is not always stable when they have to power up a 2.5" hard drive.

That's also the reason why in some expresscard adapter you can find a DC Power jack. It can be connected to another usb (also 2.0) port of your laptop to reach the needed voltage.

Now... my last question is:

Can the same result be achieved also with an expresscard adapter that has 2 USB port but no DC power adapter?

If i connect one of the 2 USB3.0 of the card to an usb2.0 of my laptop... will the other usb3.0 port have the "plus" voltage?

If yes...it doesn't make sense to buy a card with a DC Power adapter i think...

10. maxslo

maxslo undefined

Reputations:
    Ok, to everyone with spring-load expresscard, if you are having issues with the card not sitting in the slot, here is what i did to permanently fix it wihout the toothpicks or anything.
    When i opened the laptop for cleaning and repaste i removed the spring from the slot, so now the card stays in the slot wihout any issues :)