Flush USB 3.0 Expresscard Adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by damaph, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Kingston HyperX dependent. It was well over 200, and the fastest of the three USB 3.0 thumb drives I have and tested.

2. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmmm... I guess that means our poorer results are probably caused by a bottleneck somewhere between the drive and motherboard.

What's your hardware and software configuration to get these results?

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk

3. MarkraM

MarkraM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi everyone
    I'm looking for an ExpressCard that can suite my nootebook but searching in the whole thread just confused me more.

I have a dell 1555 with a 34mm expresscard slot and i'd like to purchase an USB 3.0 adapter.

My doubts are:
    1) which adapters are recommended? the one with 2 port or the one with one port and one power connector?
    2) are there any model that do not have problems with drivers and such? i'd like to buy it once and forget about it. Any adapter model you'd recommend?

Thank you in advance! :)

4. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There are not precision devices. They are inexpensive stamped product that try to fill a gap for the precious few users that still use them. They're remnants of a never quite highly utilized slot. The likelihood of you getting one that works is about 50/50. If you get any better than that, consider yourself lucky.

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. MarkraM

MarkraM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    :S
    seems like your advice is something like "Buy the cheapest you can find and...good luck!" :D
    i'll see what to do, thank you for your feedback.

6. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Or look for a seller that seems to have a decent return policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. MarkraM

MarkraM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    After some web searching i found a card that seems a little better (at least from the opinions i read about it) than other cheap products.
    It's this Targus product: Targus Europa | ACA34EU – Targus USB 3.0 Express Card Adapter

It has one usb (enough for me) and one DC Power jack.

Can anybody tell me what's the point of having a DC Power jack? i'm not an expert, but the usb should already provide the power for a 2.5" Hard Drive...
    Am i Wrong?

Does anybody know this card and can share an opinion? :)

8. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Depends on the hard drive model. The more portable ones receive power over USB; others require power separately.

9. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I second the previous opinion. I have an Iomega eGo and without external power is flaky at best. it comes with a second USB plug to get extra power.

The power jack is meant to be connected to another USB port as a source of extra power, for those hard drives that take more than what the card can natively supply and come with only a single connector.

As for the AKE being being 'cheap'... I have two of the 54mm model and they both work flawlessly. The only problem is the USB connector, it tends to come off. I punched some dents on the outside casing to retain the connector better, and it works well (see picture).

AKE 54mm USB 3.0 Card Dimpled USB Conector Mod_S.jpg

10. MarkraM

MarkraM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you for sharing!!
    At first i was looking for an AKE card too, but than i found the opinion of a guy that bouth it and coulnd't get it to work on the laptop model i have too.
    So i searched for different models.

Forgive me but i didn't understand if your final opinion on the product i linked is positive or not, do you think that a Usb + DC power jack can be better than 2 Usb port??

To take advantage of the DC power jack i think i need a cable like this, right?
    usb_pwr.jpg
    But my question is...
    Which is the difference with a cable like this? (in case i buy a 2 usb card of course.)
    USB-YCABLE01.jpg