Fluctuating GPU frequencies problem

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Deks, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My GPU is apparently garbage and it cannot reach its full potential for an unknown reason due to clocks fluctuating wildly (though in all honesty, I have no idea if this is hardware or software related).

Running Furmark GPU stress test for a limited period of time, I've noticed that the GPU cannot sustain maximum clocks at all.
    Its clocks wildly fluctuate from minimum to medium to maximum (you can see screenshot of running Furmark benchmark how the GPU frequency graph is fluctuating and an example of how low the frequencies are).
    This is NOT normal behaviour and it explains why Darksiders III was performing poorly too.

I don't understand how/why is this happening.
    Even before the RMA, the GPU was displaying similar behaviour in Furmark (fluctuating clocks, but they were fluctuating from middle to high as opposed to minimum to high) but only after it went past certain temperature levels (above 73 degrees C).
    And as you can see, the GPU is nowhere near what I would call 'dangerous' temperature levels and after the RMA, this GPU clock fluctuation is happening since the GPU is stressed).

Something seems to be preventing the GPU from leaving its minimum state and maintaining its boost clocks... I tried other drivers (with same results).
    I tried turning off Power efficiency and Chill off ... same thing is happening.
    I tried even increasing power limit to 50% with no difference.
    I tried undervolting, which lowered the temperatures to around 73-74 degrees C but clocks were still fluctuating like mad (so, no difference in actual performance).

The GPU does not appear to be throttling... or is it?
    I don't know.
    Could it be a Windows issue?
    I hadn't tried reinstalling the OS... so that might also be contributing to or causing the problem (but as you may know, reinstalling the OS is a last resort as its a time consuming process - I can do it of course, but I need help in trying to narrow down what's causing the problem).

EDIT: Someone on AMD forums had a similar problem with their desktop GPU and the only way they solved the problem was to open the GPU and replace the thermal compound.
    They said the GPU was overheating and that the displayed temperature was wrong.
    My issues begin few seconds after running FurMark GPU stress test.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Maleko48 and Vasudev like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    AMD throttles its clocks to bare minimum in Furmark test to avoid destroying its GPU. I thought AMD users knew that. I had 5750 radeon and it had same issue as well. Only in Games and rendering you can max out OC values. Try Luxmark and use max OC and +20-40% power limit, your score should have improved vastly.

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I wasn't running any OC.
    Darksiders III game exhibits identical behaviour as Furmark.
    Also, I ran Superposition behchmark and according to internal measuring of clock behaviour, the GPU core clocks fluctuate like mad (same as in Furmark and Darksiders III).

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Star Trek: Online seems to work fine (but its also an older game that's not as demanding).
    When I also ran Luxmark, I opened MSI afterburner and noticed the GPU clocks holding steady at 1077 MhZ.

So, why are the GPU clocks fluctuating on Darksiders III the same as they do in Superposition and Furmark benchmarks?

Are there certain things in these benchmarks and game that my GPU cannot handle?
    That's doubtful, because desktop users of RX 480 and 580 run Darksiders III without the same problem... so my GPU should be able to run the freaking things too without problem either (yes at slightly reduced performance, but it should be able to handle it regardless).

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Here's an uploaded screenshot of my Luxmark test.
    As I said, the GPU clocks can maintain their maximum boost no problem here.
    But Darksiders III, Furmark or Superposition, cannot (it results in GPU core clocks to fluctuate and produce very jaggy performance).

Attached Files:

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I tried superposition benchmark, and while the score seems ok more or less.
    Here's the problem that occurs with fluctuating GPU frequencies (recorded the benchmark run with my phone) :

This exact GPU frequency fluctuation occurs in Darksiders III.
    As I said, Star Trek Online and Luxmark seem fine as the GPU clocks on those 2 run consistently on 1077MhZ... but Superposition and Darksiders III are making GPU clocks jump all over the place.

Maleko48 likes this.
  7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Have GPU-Z and HWiNFO64 sensors open when running the problematic applications, and note what the GPU performance limit reason is when the clock speed dips.

Maleko48 and Vasudev like this.
  8. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It could be a possible VRM overheating issues... not quite sure...:oops:

Maleko48 likes this.
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Here's the HWinfo screen.
    I took it after running the benchmark.
    I'll have to hit the gym now and I'll try running another benchmark when I get back with GPU-Z active.
    I'll make another video recording if necessary.

Attached Files:

10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That doesn’t tell me anything, you would have to show the GPU limit reasons section during one of the performance dips.

Maleko48 likes this.