Fixing an Alienware 18 with seemingly faulty GPU's

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by ColaMonster, May 7, 2018.

1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My bad, thought he was talking about his M18x.

@ColaMonster
    No it won't the card is most likely dead.
    You went without fan control with furrmark on graphicscards and killed it with it.

2. ColaMonster

ColaMonster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had upgraded to A13 last night, so i should roll it back then? (If thats possible)

Technically I havent seen any BSODS, and the only black screen ive seen was after I cooked the R9 M290X, I fixed the issue of windows not openening properly with a reinstall, I still had a cursor and was able to use task manager with my black screens failing to get into windows. But thats great news that the mobo is probably good! :D

3. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Send me the cards alone and I can tell you for sure if they are toast or not

4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can also make pictures of both cards, maybe we can see which VRM died or something. Maybe you can get them repaired relatively cheap.

5. ColaMonster

Reputations:
    I popped in the card that i cooked, no response, i should have tried fn f5'ing it, but i got ahead of myself and just took it back out, and put in the one that earlier read as 3mb ati card. it appears to be alive again? exept one problem. the moment i get amd drivers installed, black screen. rebooting shows windows symbol, then black screen the moment it tries the driver. without the driver it boots though?

also i did take photos of the cooked card, nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can see.

EDIT :

So I ran userbenchmark to test if the gpu still worked, and had hwinfo to monitor temps - cpu temp climbed fast, hit 90C before i was able to crank fans on it, because i think i had it set manually to a low RPM accidentally, but it went sys auto and it worked fine

But then the GPU test hit, and the gpu temp climbed and climbed, and the fan controller had no effect on it - it hit 90 degrees and kept climbing, till i just used the power button to force the pc off - no damage done. so my question became - why is there no fan.

unable to get it going with speedfan or hwinfo, and running the system diagnostics from the boot menu, it was like 8 tries before it sped up at all.

so i replaced the fan with the same one out of my M18X (which 100% works) and tried the diagnostics again. took a photo of the result. basically same results as before though. fans spin up during boot, and when the diagnostics first initializing them? confusion. I see why I burned the one, and possibly why this one got messed up to begin with.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  6. Raidriar

Reputations:
    This is classic GPU failure with AMD, dead 7970Ms act exactly in this fashion. The core is dead/damaged, no way to fix this short of a repair that costs as much or more than the card itself. It works without driver because windows is software accelerating the graphics (CPU) instead of hardware accelerating graphics with the GPU.

7. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    What @Raidriar said is the most likely scenario.

Usually when gpus are starting to fail they will:

Black screen
    Fail to initialize
    Show up with an error code under Device manager
    Fail after driver install when gpu acceleration kicks in
    Random hang
    Fail at lower thermals
    Artifacting
    Freeze/reboots

Usually when you get to the 8 beeps of total death, you don’t realize you’ve actually experienced one of thee above as a sign of impending failure.

The 7970m’s were dogs.

I’m not sure why manual fan controls failed.

You could send them to Raid for testing since he keeps a literal arsenal of alienwares (sans his AW18 that died).

But if the system works fine with no gpu(s) installed then focus on them. You could always pick up a dirt cheap 765m to fully test your primary gpu slot.

As for your cpu spiking into the 90s, that is every AW18 I’ve encountered basically until you repaste with something like nanogrease (to compensate for any pairing issues) or LM if you have a tight enough fit and use XTU to find your sweet spot.

I took possession of (yet another lol) a brand new AW18 4710mq and dual 970m”s last week (deployed 2016 tag and shipped with A13 already applied) and right out of the box the stock cpu settings spiked immediately into the 90s before crashing running wprime1024. How these left Dell all those years still with atrocious pasting Jobs is beyond me.

oSChakal likes this.
  8. Raidriar

Reputations:
    Not entirely dells fault. The haswell chips ran stupid hot (poorly designed FIVR) and any high clockspeed haswell almost required liquid metal and an undervolt

9. ColaMonster

Reputations:
    I did manage to get amd drivers to work last night. Took a lot of messing around, but I got it working I believe. But the fan won’t spin up, so I can’t keep it cool. :s

I’m worried if I get a new video card it’ll just cook too :eek:

10. Raidriar

Reputations:
    This is a stock factory configuration, you shouldn't need any fan control applications. You may have an unplugged or damaged fan.