[FIXED] Bricked P35x v3, v5 and P17

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Jdpurvis, Nov 24, 2017.

1. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Nice job :vbsmile: ! And the time/date thing is what you want to see after a full flash or cmos reset; means you're running a 'fresh' bios.
    Nope, but you could mention NBR if people need help fixing things or seek buying advice (the WNSIB? section is great for that). Either way; traffic makes the advertisers happy and pays for the upkeep of the forum.
    It's sure to help fellow users of the system, so it would be very welcome. The photo will be a lifesaver, same for the one of the vbios or ec. We haven't pinned down which one it is for, btw; if you can upload the dump then we'll know that as well.
    That's because there's a small neodymium magnet in the bezel which flips a reed switch located right opposite the magnet when you close it:

[​IMG]

Take a refrigerator magnet and hover it over/off the switch area and you'll know instantly why it was such a great invention. Anyway, with a laptop screen it's a switch that breaks the 'backlight-on' pin of the display cable, meaning that it's always powered on unless the magnet is close to the switch.

Btw, the switch only powers down the backlight, but usually not the lcd itself since the backlight consumes 2/3ths of the power. So with the refrigerator magnet (and display open) you can still spot a faint image on the screen. This is a nice way to know how to tell the difference between an lcd that is truly off and one that has a defective backlight (or stuck reed switch).

Hmm ... a better-designed system would also turn off the lcd, but it'd take a slightly more complicated circuit. There's no single wire for that on the display cable and you can't turn off the complete display output since you'd also kill the signal to any monitor hooked up. A single, extra relay would work though, so guess most manufacturers can't be bothered with that.

slimmolG likes this.
  2. TedBundy

TedBundy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, Hi btw... but I'm in the same boat... bricked laptop, no boot, black screen of death, corrupted bios, OK so I tried most things bar getting myself a usb-bios chip programmer and clip etc etc and getting a new bios written from a downloaded bin/rom file from my laptop makers website right? easy... just don't know which files to flash, it's not as clear cut as most, my laptop btw is a Gigabyte P17 now I've downloaded the bios files there and can one of you confirm for me that the file 'OutImage.bin' is the one I need to flash... I'm just waiting on my bios-programmer to arrive in the post but I was thinking I'd better make sure, it's an 8K bin image, seems OK... my bios chip name is a 25B32BSIG (I do have a picture of it) and there's another ME chip close by, same 8 pin 25B16BSIG (as far as I can tell) anyway my laptop went mental after a win-10 update, installed... seemed fine, did a few restarts... was gonna install some more programs as I thought all was well... I'd deleted partitions you see, clean install... shut-down... machine entered bios everytime saying no rom image found or something... I pressed enter and before you could say locked out my bios was being written to and that was it... so I just hope you chaps could help me flash the right bios data, thanks

You can see the image of the chips in question here as I'd posted there first, anyway please advise, thanks

3. t456

Reputations:
    Very kind of Gigabyte to label the smd components. And yes, you surmised correctly; the '25B16BSIG' eeprom is meant for the Intel Management Engine (ME).

The bios eeprom is '25*32', so it's 32Mbit (= 4Mbyte). Similarly for the ME; '25*16' = 16Mbit = 2Mbyte. The 'OutImage.bin' is 8Mbyte, so obviously won't fit on either eeprom. Don't know what it's meant for ... content is ME+2MB blank+EC+BIOS, but not identical to the files used by the .bat flash commands, so the Gigabyte flash sequence does nothing with this file.

The 4MB 'W650SJ.GI5' contains the bios and ec, you can safely use this to flash the bios eeprom. The 6MB 'W650SJ6M.GI5' has the same bios and ec, except preceded by an (old) ME version, so the first 2MB of this file can be written to the ME eeprom. Curiously, there's also a separate EC file ('eW6xSJ04.GI1'), but this is one version older than the one embedded in the other two files :vbconfused: . The Gigabyte sequence flashes the new version first and then flashes this older version over that. Just ignore this and keep the 4MB; perhaps they unlocked something they didn't really want unlocked ...

To program the 2MB ME eeprom you can just point the programmer to the 6MB 'W650SJ6M.GI5' and write that. It'll yelp about data overflowing, but that's fine, so it's good to proceed; we only need the first 2MB anyway.

Just in case, the 1:1 files:
    Gigabyte P17F - me+ec+bios eeprom binaries.7z

TedBundy likes this.
  4. TedBundy

TedBundy Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you and for the download, I'll report back on how things go, would both chips need to be re-flashed or just the bios? - suppose I could just try it and see when my bits arrive, cheers

5. TedBundy

TedBundy Newbie

Reputations:
    Just to say thanks very much for the help, my P17 was restored using a newly flashed BIOS,didn't need to re-program the ME chip, turned on and a couple of seconds later the gigabyte logo appeared, couple of auto-restarts and windows 10 set up devices as new and bingo my account as there waiting for me to log in, simples! =) thanks again.

t456 likes this.
  6. t456

Reputations:
    Nicely done :vbthumbsup: !

And could you do me a favour and check the EC version in the bios menu? Think you now have a version that's newer than the most recent one as released by Gigabyte.

TedBundy likes this.
  7. TedBundy

TedBundy Newbie

Reputations:
    OK, sure thing...

BIOS Version : 1.03.06RGI5
    KBC/EC Firmware Revision : 1.03.04GI1
    ME FW Version : 9.1.0.1120

8. jhax01

jhax01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I’m having a similar problem with my P35x v3. I think my VBIOS has become corrupted somehow. My laptop will boot and operate on an external monitor as normal but I get no BIOS or splash screen on the internal lcd and windows 10 won’t work on the internal display either (it isn’t recognized at all in the device manager)...However, if I boot Linux, about halfway through the boot the internal display starts working normally so I know the hardware is ok. I’ve ordered a programmer so I can try flashing it manually, since you already have a copy of your VBIOS chip would you mind posting the file? Also a description of its location on the board would be helpful as well so I don’t flash the wrong one!

Edit. — ok, further digging reveals that it’s possible this may be a case of a Windows 10 / Nvidia corrupted EDID. :-/

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  9. t456

Reputations:
    Could be. Try this guide; at step 09 you'll know whether it is indeed corrupt. Most software tools get their info from the registry, but i2cdump accesses the eeprom directly. If it is corrupt then please report back with the dump and I'll find you a working edid to flash.

jhax01 likes this.
  10. jhax01

jhax01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, the checksum is valid so I guess that's not the problem. :-( Thanks tho. Based on the symptoms and the fact that the screen can work with Linux, the VBIOS seems like the next logical problem area to me so hopefully @elClemente will be able to upload his at some point.