[FIXED] Bricked P35x v3, v5 and P17

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Jdpurvis, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I opened SmartManager, and it listed a new Bios (FB12/F00F). So I thought that might be the update for the multithreading error. So I started the update - it seemed to proceed normally, then the machine shut down and stayed down. No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get it to start. I would have disconnected it and removed the battery to try to reset it, but battery is not removable without taking the back off. I guess that is my next step. Any other thoughts? It is within the 2 year warranty, and purchased from ZOTICPC, so I can try both of those sources for help.

Ouch!!

Joe

2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bios updates are risky indeed. Try removing the battery and CMOS battery as well....if no luck call Zotic, although Bios updates are not their responsibilty, and they might have you contact Gigabyte support.

CedricFP likes this.
  3. Jdpurvis

Reputations:
    Opened up the back and disconnected CMOS battery, reconnected and it booted normally. Whew!!

Best,

Joe

Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great to hear....did you check the Bios to see if it was updated or did it revert back to the original version?

Enviado de meu Pixel 2 usando Tapatalk

5. Jdpurvis

Reputations:
    I checked, and it did update. Haven't, so far, found any significant differences. I had already applied the fix for the hyperthreading error, so that seems unchanged. There wasn't anything on the Gigabyte site previously that describe the changes or rationale for the new version - I will keep checking and post if I find anything. So far, all seems ok.

Joe

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. elClemente

elClemente Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys I need your help please.

I did the bios update on my P35X V3 and it seemed to be bricked now.

When i turn the laptop on, it just flashes some leds and ramps up the fans once in a while. But no post screen or something like that.

What happend:
    I did flash bios with smart manager

Why: it quoted to be a new version with windows 10 support and I wanted to just install windows 10.

What did you change in the notebook:
    I only erased the hidden drives with the windows 8 install Folder. I only did use windows 7 and just wanted to upgrade to 10.
    It is still in raid mode bevor installation of the bios.

What did you do after bios update failed?
    Unplugged it and did hard reset. Resulted in the above quoted symptoms.
    No post screen.
    I did plug in external monitor - nothing
    I disassembled everything.
    Searched for bios chip. Found one near the CPU and GPU. Not near the Bios Battery.
    I saved old files in bios chip and tried flashing bin file to chip. Didn’t work and also the flashing tool said the file is too long an rest will be ignored.
    There are two bios bin files. I already notices that one is for raid and the other acpi or how it is called.
    It seems to be the wrong file for the chip.
    Please help me guys

I got a CH341A programmer and in circuit clip to programm the found MXIC 25L2006e chip on the Mainbord.

I can post you guys everything to get my laptop back to life.
    Just tell me what to do.
    Can someone sent me their running bios file?

I am from Germany. Please excuse my bad English. Thanks

7. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    The '20' in '25L2006e' means it's a 2Mbit/256Kbyte chip, which is far too small for the regular bios, hence the complaint by the flashing tool. Likely this chip is for the vbios or ec, so first thing is to write back that backup you made.

Next, search for a similarly-looking '*25*' chip, but this time one that says '*25*64*' or even '*25*128*'. That will be the bios+me eeprom you need to flash. You can use one of the two bin files you already downloaded, so there's no need to use a dump of anyone else's system.

It is very unusual they supply a raid and non-raid variant; this is normally handled by a simple bios setting. Set to raid if you want to combine two or more drives in an array for increased speed, redundancy and/or simply to be able to create a larger partition (nice, simple article here). One of my systems uses raid-0 for the boot drive, but the default bios setting is ahci. So if I flash a new stock or modded bios then it'll refuse to boot the os since the data on the drive is incomplete, every odd data block of a file residing on drive A and every even block on drive B. Simply setting back ahci -> raid in the bios menu and it'll boot happily again (without any data loss, of course). Either Gigabyte doesn't think too highly of their customers or there's two motherboard variants of this system, saving a few dollars pennies on the non-raid model by omitting the raid controller chip. Anyway, you just flash whichever is applicable to your setup, just on the off-chance these really are for different motherboard versions.

elClemente likes this.
  8. elClemente

elClemente Newbie

Reputations:
    You are totally right.

I found the "right chip" it´s a non marked MXIC 25L6406E M2I-12G.

I looked at the files on the ship and they look like the new Bios version that was tried to be installed. Here is what i did now but cant get any further:

- flashed back the Backup on the "wrong chip"
    - red out the "right Bios Chip" and tried to flash it with the downloaded bin file (_sucess)
    - i installed the bios battery. mounted everything needed. But no Post-Screen or Boot Logo. Again the Fans are spinning after a while but the screen stays black all the time.

What i will do next:

- get back to the "wrong Chip" erase it and flash back the backup again (verify the written data with the tool)
    - i will screw the hole laptop together as it was.
    - i will be abled to get access to the "right" bios chip trough the service door. i will erase it and try older and newer bios versions.

what i don´t understand is why the screen is black all the time? at least it could turn on backlight?!

regarding the two bios files: i red that there are always to bios version on gigabyte motherboards. but i don´t understand what this should be for? i am only abled to flash one bios file to the chip, or do i have to put those 2 files together and flash it at once?

One file is 8.192 KB big and called A10, the other C10.
    The newer files are named A11 and C11 for windows 7 and B11 and D11 for Windows 10.
    i have no idea why there are two files

https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/P35X-v3#support-dl

9. elClemente

elClemente Newbie

Reputations:
    I thank you guys so much. It works and i am so happy !!!!!

What i did:

- erased wrong Chip (VBios or something like that)
    - wrote backup to it and verified it

- then i did erase the BiosChip and wrote C10 Files to it and verified it.

- then i totally essembled everything as it was, except backcover.
    - i turned it on and it works like nothing happend. Date and time is wrong but the screen is on and i can see post screen now.

Guys thank you very much. Can i donate to the Forum?

Question: Should i make a manual with pictures on the forum? or just post some pictures of the Bios Chip position in this Thread for other people to come and seek?

t456 likes this.
  10. elClemente

elClemente Newbie

Reputations:
    I think one main Problem was, that the screen didn´t turn on as long as the laptop wasn´t fully assembled. Everyone knows that if you close the Screen the Screen turns off. I think that was a problem that i thought i didn´t work, as the screen didn´t turn on

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018