First ToughBook purchase: CF-30 or CF-31?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Old Gator, Apr 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    DEFINITELY the CF-31! However... Make sure you don't get one that has been painted black by one of the Rattle Can Boys on eBay. If you plan on using it outside it will then become a heat soak! They paint them black to appeal to the "Super Blackhawk" and "Special Ops" people that eBay serves...(lol) When mainly these have been used by the cops to issue DUI tickets to fat guys leaving the bar!

Shawn can set you up proper!

Kent T, toughasnails and Shawn like this.
  2. Old Gator

Old Gator Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice... I'm working with Shawn now.

toughasnails and ADOR like this.
  3. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree, go CF-31 and lose the black painted versions. Shawn is your man. And it is Kent T approved and endorsed, as rugged as the CF 30 it replaced, and can take spastic me without issues.

toughasnails and Shawn like this.
  4. Old Gator

Old Gator Newbie

Reputations:
    Just to update this thread, a couple of days ago a Big Brown Truck delivered a CF-31 Mark 3 from Shawn. I haven't had much time to use it other than to run Windows 7 updates and load Topo North America 10, but it seems to work well. I haven't been able to take it outside yet but the screen is definitely bright and the backlit keyboard is nice. I was amazed the factory internal GPS had strong signals from 7 satellites with the laptop sitting on my kitchen table. My handheld Garmins don't lock inside the house.

By the way, an Ebay seller has new, still-in-the-shrinkwrap, Delorme Topo North America 10 for $65 or Best Offer. It loaded and connected to the internal GPS without issues.

Shawn worked with me to get the CF-31 configured with the options I wanted at what I considered a fair price. It was less money plus I got much more than I would have from the resellers and Ebay ads I looked at. Plus, I knew exactly what I was getting before I committed to the purchase.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, it really helped me to make a decision.

SHEEPMAN!, Shawn and toughasnails like this.
  5. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Excellent! You can't go wrong with Shawn! He's like the Shell Answer Man of Toughbooks!

Shawn and SHEEPMAN! like this.