first time laptop user, what to do first, next . .

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by laraby, Jul 2, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laraby

laraby Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I've just purchased a ThinkPad T560 from the Lenovo outlet. I expected some papers in the box, like you get with a cell phone - you know "Getting Started". The box just had a paper that says go to lenovo.com/support where I only found the user guide. I wonder if there is a "dummies' guide to your T560" somewhere I can read to follow step by step as I set this up. I found some info from the threads about keeping laptop running well, so second question, do I really need to take the laptop apart and re-paste?.
    thanks in advance!

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Feel My Heart

Reputations:
    If you're not very knowledgeable about computers (implied by this post), I'd strongly recommend against opening up your computer, especially for things like repasting (it's actually pretty simple, but you can easily ruin your computer if you do it wrong).

That said, personally I tend to install a fresh copy of Windows (to get rid of bloatware and other reasons) or install another OS (I tend to do a lot of Linux work, for example). Outside of that, I'd just install whatever programs you want/need and call it a day.

Really, the most important thing to consider to keep the laptop running well over time (aside from the obvious, like avoiding physical damage) is to make sure you allow for decent airflow when using the computer. For example, if you're going to use the laptop while in bed, don't use it on top of your comforter or blanket; use a hard surface as a sort of "desk" to use it on.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Normally people are just through with user manual since windows is somewhat easier with few clicks to get things done. User manuals are things of the past when its superseded by online sources.
    Recommended softwares to install are:
    1. Lenovo's energy/power management software to keep your battery optimised by settings charge thresholds to prolong battery's lifetime.
    2. All recommended drivers
    3. Install ccleaner, WOT or other web reputation addons for Chrome/ Firefox
    4. Be sure to opt out of adwares if unsure use Unchecky.
    After a couple of years of experience, I'm sure you can take apart any lappies and desktops alike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.