First Credit Card

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by usapatriot, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    It's great to go without debt, period. Unfortunately buying a home and even a car can be the most difficult thing. But the way we operate, you need to have some form of credit really to survive. If you ever needed to take out a loan for anything you'd be hard pressed to get more than a couple grand without any credit history. So you need to use credit cards, just learn not to keep any balance even with 0% promotions etc.

2. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    not one job ... but more like 2 to 3 at the same time. I dont consider that lucky, more like .. hard work :D Living on my own too

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Good for you, really. Been there and it's not fun. I worked 40-50 hrs/week through college and still walked out with over $20k in debt from student loans and credit cards. Lived on my own since 18, kinda my choice, but later realized how dumb it was. Wish I had stayed home and saved some money and started life out a little better than I did.

Nearly 20 years later finally get rid of all the debt that haunted me from college days on. Just could never catch up, one thing after another. I look back and I got a credit card and they said we could put down "student" as my employment. You know how stupid that is?

4. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    welcome to the debt free land :D

these days I get credit card offers like every 3rd day, and all go to the shredder of course, LOL. Only if they knew me I bet they would never offer me a card. In the past 3 years I've paid only once a fee and it was for over the credit limit, like 35 bux ... cause I messed up on a transaction that posted late, but that was on my first card with very low limit. I dont use it anymore, so no chance for that fee again.

the last Discover card that I got - they gave me 100 bucks just to open the account, and then I'm getting cash back as bonus :D Loving it

5. JM

JM Mr. Misanthrope NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Dave Ramsey says everyone should pay cash for their house. While that'd be great, that's not a feasible thing for the majority of people out there.

And yes, you do need to be enrolled with an accredited university. They will ask for university enrollment information at time of application, that you will need to mail in.

6. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So is a Visa a card that is accepted at most places? Last question before I apply.

7. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    I have been buying everything on the credit card for the last few years and paying it off montly. I have a great credit rating!

8. ramgen

ramgen -- Morgan Stanley --

Reputations:
    Yes. From a barber shop to an airline... MasterCard is similar too.

--

9. TofuTurkey

TofuTurkey Married a Champagne Mango

Reputations:
    Visa/MasterCard are accepted almost everywhere. AMEX in fewer places, I was told merchants have to pay a higher fee if they support AMEX and not all of them are willing to do that.

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Yeah, Visa and Mastercard are both accepted at most places. But I have run into the odd place here or there that only one or the other was accepted. I know Tim Hoton's in Canada is Mastercard only because I used to go there on my way to work over the border frequently and one time when I had no cash on me, I handed over my Visa debit card and they said MC only. I didn't get my coffee fix that day. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.