Firepro M6100 into AW 17?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mastermind5200, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I wont be making any changes any time soon. Assuming my plans work out, I can make that purchase when I can afford to lose it.

2. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, I might be able to save my Ranger, my friend just called and said that he owed me $450 LOL!

3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I sold my P157SM-A to my brother last year and still waiting to collect 500 lol. I cant take it back either cause he'll shut down and quit his job or something stupid like that. Was a nice laptop but I couldnt adjust to the keyboard layout. The left ALT key just killed the whole laptop altogether.

4. Mastermind5200

Reputations:
    Ouch, that sucks man. You could try to pester him, but if its been this long....

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    If its not paid by the time I head out of the country ill just take it with me. I wont have to witness the fallout and then ill just sell it on ebay or something. Not really worried about it. 4900mq / 770m machine Im sure I can find a use for it :p

Mastermind5200 likes this.
  6. Mastermind5200

Reputations:
    Haha nice ;)

You might be able to use that as a new plex server

7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Honestly the Ranger would be better for it. 9TB fits internally on platter drives. The m4600 worked well enough due to the flat panel frame (2 HDD's mounted on it) but may interfere with cooling mods I had in mind. Who knows lol

I didnt spend much time with the P157SM-A, I hated the keyboard layout that much, it sat on the floor for a few months while I continued using the m4600 (which had the m5100 OCed to 850m levels) I dont think it can use the 5TB 15mm drive which would be a deal breaker. Who knows, all just thoughts in the air at the moment.

8. Mastermind5200

Reputations:
    wait holdup "mounted to the side" really now? Any photos I can see?
    IMO the ranger would probably be better for it, assuming you can fit the 5TB drives in the cages, the ODD should be fine though, maybe a SATA splitter and mount two in there if your cooling mods don't need it or don't happen, but otherwise you 3 2.5 slots, mSATA, and a DMC slot if you can even find a card for it

9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I didnt say mounted on the side, I had the additional drives mounted on top of the m4600 and taped to the panel frame, powered by a powered USB 3.0 A hub. Looks sloppy but is portable in 30 seconds and in the pack ready for transport. I have a USB Wireless 300 N router, USB ODD and 2x 2.5" HDD's mounted to the top of the m4600 at present.

The Ranger can house the drives internally due to the ODD bay, no need for external drives. The 5TB 15mm drive fits almost perfectly with the rubber feet included with the drive. You can buy it either bare drive 189 USD or the external (which uses the same drive) for 130 USD, can be found on Amazon.

I have a mSATA to USB 3.0 A port adapter for the DMC slot, I had planned to mod the powered hub to the center rear of the frame. I will wait on that until I get back on my feet though. Dont want to be hacking up my daily driver until I take care of other things going on first

10. Mastermind5200

Reputations:
    My bad oops. I bet its portable.

Can you link the 5TB HDD?
    EDIT: This?
    https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Port...e=UTF8&qid=1531881233&sr=8-6&keywords=5tb+hdd

How did you get a mSATA to USB, and how did you get it to work in the DMC? Does the DMC use PCIE?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.