Firepro M6100 into AW 17?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mastermind5200, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Its all trial and error to work out the kinks. Rather handle them now then under a time sensitive scenario.

That being said, makes me think about the W7170m quite a bit considering its reported to be plug and play lol, but would be less likely to work with my heatsink (larger die iirc). At some point I would like to get a second heatsink anyways and put this heatsink in the oven to separate the components and add them to the new heatsink.

2. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Me too, it honestly seems like a viable upgrade, cheap enough, definitely plug and play (AW announced it for this specific model) and it works in Dell Precisions of the same generation, but that heatsink and the fact that there are NO custom Bios's for it turn me off a little from it

3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yes, on all points. But there is always potential for someone more skilled in that domain to take a look, especially if commissioned/contracted.

I havent worked in a few years so my budget is particularly low (long story made short, got my BS-IT for a purpose and that purpose fell apart towards the end) and the w7170m + heatsink is significantly more than just the m6100, basically all it comes down to at the moment.

I could easily mod the AMD heatsink, put it in the oven at IIRC (dont quote) 210c for 8 minutes to separate the components then use thermal glue to expand the heat exchanger, then add multiple pipes to the VRM and vRAM.

I was also going to use the GPU heatsink to expand the CPU heatsink but I need to put more thought into that, it will be a fun little project in the future.

4. Mastermind5200

Reputations:
    I mean, I could check out the M390x, but I honestly don't have the money, trying to save for a P870xxx,, and thats assuming the heatsink doesn't need any reworking.

Man, I am truly sorry to hear that, I hope you can find a way to get back on your feet

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Well you have the 100w AMD heatsink? The one reference we have didnt mention any need for modification of the heatsink but we have no idea of the user level that performed the upgrade. So we just know that it works but without pictures etc etc there would of course be variables we cant account for at this time.

If the P870 is what your sights are set on then dont waste money on the Ranger, especially if you're still undecided on selling the Ranger.

I made an error in character judgement with my ex, it happens. I may be in the darkest pit I have been in my life up to this point, however that just means that life still has possibilities for me beyond what I had imagined. Regardless I did get my BS in IT, and am working on my ESL certificate. I may be stuck at 0 but in time ill be able to change that. Its why I got the m6100 instead of the W7170m, I can always get another GPU later :)

Got my mapped drive working. I officially hate Windows now but its working lol.

6. Mastermind5200

Reputations:
    I have the 100w nVidia heatsink, same as you? It fitted the 8950m perfectly, even the 765m xBracket fitted perfectly (save for the back memory cooler, I ripped that off)

I actually made money buying the 8950m and 100w heatsink funnily enough ~$20 ish

I'm still trying to see if there is a way to keep this and buy a P870xxx, but ebay just canceld nearly all of my bids with 15 hours left in the auction, so basically all I have to sell in the meanwhile is a Ranger. After I get a P870xxx (if I do) I might try to go out and get another Ranger (maybe a viking) but I probably will just get a M6800 or something like it.

Yeah man, I feel you. Sorry life decided to crap all over you, but atleast you can only go up.
    Right?

God, Windows can be so annoying, but I'm too lazy to learn the ins and outs of Ubuntu and I don't like the idea of buying any Mac

7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I have the aftermarket 100w heatsink, probably closer to 130w. The limitation is the heat exchanger, without more mass for the kinetic energy to dump to add more pipes than 5 is redundant. Thats why I am thinking about adding more mass, just need to extend the fan wires and place the fan in the ODD bay.

I would've made some cash too for sure, but the 780m is dead lol, not nearly worth as much.

They are certainly exemplar machines of their era. This Ranger is the best alienware had to offer and basically went down hill. They had performance improvements sure but QC issues made it a gamble and not an investment from my perspective. M6800 is a nice machine but M6700 has the same compatibility. Though some are looking to get he P5000(m?) working on the IPS panel iteration of the m6800. Havent kept up on that development.

It can still go down, life can always get worse. The key for me was to set an amicable goal again. Kept it simple, I want a dog and I also want to get into Game Dev. Now I can move forward, I was stuck for a while and the main issue was I just didnt have a feasible / meaningful goal in mind. 5 years of investment went down the tube and some medical issues had to be remedied. When it rains it pours lol

Yes Windows is pissing me off, my mapped drive wont work but I can access it via Network > PC > drive but not through a mapped drive. I never liked Windows networking, I focused more on application support when I worked in IT.

8. Mastermind5200

Reputations:
    hmm now the m17x r2 is just rebooting

9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Wx7100 apparently can be had for 320 off of Taobao, that might be route I go after some time.

10. Mastermind5200

Reputations:
    I would ve very careful purchasing off of there, but that seems a very good deal indeed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.