Firepro M6100 into AW 17?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Grant B Gibson, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was browsing ebay when I saw this card for $55. Naturally, I couldn't refuse, and so I bought this and the 100w heatsink (it was $21 extra) to help out, and hopefully successfully install it. I will edit this post with various updates as I proceed.

Final Edit: It appears that you need a 240w PSU for this mod. The GPU itself is entirely plug in play. I would assume the 120HZ screen doesn't work, and I cannot confirm it. I was not able to flash a modded vBios on it, but that may be due to me having a later revision card

EDIT #1 It boots perfectly fine, the usual driver issue is there, I'm going to try to download the Precision M6700 drivers and see if that works, I'll update again when ready

EDIT #2 Yeah drivers are an issue, but other than that, it seems to be working fine

EDIT #3 The GPU is no longer showing up in windows (Code 45)

EDIT #4
    Wow after a few restarts, everything is working fine! I'll post some benchmarks, but I doubt it'll be much different than my 765M. I don't know how the drivers managed to install, but it may have been me opening the driver.exe file, restarting the PC, and it installing while the GPU was still "recognized" by the system

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    sicily428 likes this.
  2. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    Now I'm going to try and use the MUX (I/D GFX) button to see what happens lol

EDIT#5 I wonder if I am the first to do this lol

EDIT#6 No GPU native fan control, and it isn't spinning even with HWinfo64, and the temp is slowly going up. The MUX (I/D GFX) button didn't seem to work, oh well.

EDIT#7 Everything seems to work fine, but my PSU doesn't seem capable of handling it, odd, considering its "180w". As well the MUX switch works nicely, seems that it not working was a AW software issue. Going to try to flash with improved vBIOS

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    sicily428 likes this.
  3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Have you tried running pre-adrenaline drivers on the consumer side?

I didnt need Firepro drivers when I was using the m5100, it would display as m200x but that wasnt an issue.

4. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    It already recognizes it as a 8950m and auto installed the Firepro Drivers

5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Got mine running and was able to get it working with the nvidia heatsink as well, with some tweaks.

The issue I have right now though is I cant get it running in PEG mode. Only seems to work in SG. Did you uninstall Intel HD graphics before going to PEG mode?

SG mode seems to knock performance down to m5100 levels it looks like. Unigine Valley seems to run similar FPS, well based on memory, could be wrong.

6. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    I dont remember exactly, but something along the lines of that. Also make sure you have the AW command center installed so you can use the I/D GFX mode if you need.

Thermals are much better after a repaste with the 100w, and I am currently using the 765m bracket with the back memory clip snapped off. I haven't been able to flash a new vBios on it yet, but I get back to my workstation today and I am going to try it. I dont know how it truly performs, as my 180w PSU seems to not want to handle it, and I'm selling this anyways, got a guy to pay $500 for the config in my sig without the SSDs

7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Yeah I tried the Fn key but had no change in behavior. I Uninstalled the Intel HD drivers and had a black screen upon reboot. Still trying to get it working without SG mode.

8. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    Odd. I get home in a few mins, so I'll try to back track, but as off now, it works perfect in mine (aside from PSU failure)

9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Would appreciate the insight, guess I'm lucky I caught you before you parted ways with the Ranger lol

Since this model shipped with the 780m it came with the 240w but it blew up the moment I used it. I already had a 240w for my m4600 but I ordered the 330w in tandem which is what I use now.

10. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    You'd probably figure it out eventually, I just did a bunch of random combinations of button mashing until I found the secret combo

I dont even know if I am or not, they guy Im selling it to is local, so probably a flak, and im mainly pushing for a P870DM