Firefox vs Chrome - RAM use and noisy fan

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Vooon, Nov 20, 2020.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Shady or not... This should have never happened.

"It's not great, and sorry again. I'm sad about it, too," he wrote.

"We made a mistake, we're correcting: Brave default autocompletes verbatim 'http://binance.us' in address bar to add an affiliate code," wrote Eich.

Eich, Brave's CEO, apologized for the redirects and offered an explanation for the behavior, claiming it was a "mistake".

However, other Twitter users challenged the idea that Brave had simply made a mistake. Further research of Brave's GitHub repository revealed it was also redirecting the URLs of Ledger, Trezor and Coinbase to URLs that Brave profits from.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/best-internet-browser-2020-2021.832782/page-3#post-11021477

3. etern4l

Reputations:
    Sigh. Nowhere to run. I think I'm going back to Lynx.

What about Vivaldi? I've read it's not very fast.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  4. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wow! That one is too unsafe.
    You could try Waterfox Classic. Developer dropped balls on it few months ago and moved attention to fork based on newer versions of firefox but if you are on FF 5x ESR them you are already done with some sites not being supported.
    Try simply copy pasting old FF profile into WF and rename accordingly, might work.

I myself struggle to accept that a thought of googling "How to install Edge Chromium on Windows 7" is itching in my head.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can install Edge on Win 7 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download
    I can use same msi package on w7,w8.1 and w10 and even pre-install silently during OS slipstreaming.

James D and Papusan like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I'm not really seeing a remarkable difference between Chrome and Edge Chromium. Chrome seems to use just a little more memory and has a couple of extra processes. The differences are too small for me to consider them important, but Chrome does look and feel a little more polished to me. I don't care for Bing much. I lean in favor of Chrome and Google features integration, but nothing remarkable stands out to me about either one. I think it really boils down to user preference and how much effort is needed to make the switch may have some bearing on the question of whether or not it is "worth it" to switch from one to another. I do not see either of them, or Brave, being something that I would categorize as a 'compelling' product. That's not a knock against any of them. I do not view any web browser as being a compelling product. I appreciate the convenience that Chrome offers me more than I do the other options. When it comes to rendering web pages, I really don't care which one as long as the web page loads correctly and swiftly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    MatteBlacke and Vasudev like this.
  7. etern4l

Reputations:
    Actually, turns out Brave is open source, so that's pretty good: https://github.com/brave
    If one doesn't trust the official packaging, I guess they could build their own.

8. MatteBlacke

MatteBlacke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Valid points, but the touchpad scrolling on Edgium trumps every single browser for me. I really like a browser with good scrolling physics, it just makes the overall experience better.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That's an interesting term for the Chromium based Edge. I had never heard it before, but it makes perfect sense. (Yes, I Googled it, LOL.)

I am unable to speak to the superiority of touchpad scrolling since I primarily use my desktops and when I occasionally use my laptop the touchpad is disabled and I use a mouse. I usually will go out of my way to avoid using a touchpad in favor of a mouse, and only use it as a last resort.