Firefox vs Chrome - RAM use and noisy fan

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Vooon, Nov 20, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Edge is even better than chrome for thermal and battery management. Microsoft recently released a list of things they worked on to improve over chrome.

2. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I've been using Firefox since it forked from the Netscape days, but recently it has been more trouble than it has been worth. I've found myself slowly, but surely, opening more pages in Edge for a much smoother experience all around. Mind you, this is on (yet another) clean install from scratch. I have my system(s) set up so I can nuke and be back up and running in less than 30 min. I do this routinely with new driver installs and such. The issues still present themselves.

3. electrosoft

Reputations:
    At least Google is the devil you know vs the devil you don't.

Google is basically, "Hey, you know we're going to data mine the crap out of your online experiences but look at all these convenient free stuff!"

I can live with that.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've had the opposite experience. Firefox has been consistently getting better and faster for me to the point where the difference is hardly noticeable in day-to-day usage. Part of it may be because I don't keep more than 10 tabs open at any one time. However, what is a problem, and the main reason why I switched to Firefox full-time is that Chromium-based browsers still cannot play 1080p/60 or 4K video without dropping frames.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    FF doing fine here regarding memory and speed, but that network activity immediately at launch? Too much, what is Mozilla trying to do? see attach, no website, all ff telemetry disabled, addons not set for autoupdate etc (loopbacks are ff attempts blocked in firewall). f.ex. Vivaldi, very quiet in comparision.

Attached Files:

• ff.jpg
      ff.jpg
      File size:
      83.7 KB
      Views:
    Vasudev likes this.
  6. electrosoft

Reputations:
    I still use Firefox as my main browser. I've just run into little problems here and there that have caused me to have to use Edge to resolve them.

Here are a few:

One is PDF printing. Firefox is still hit or miss with alignments and they run off the page to the left. I end up opening them in Edge or using a stand alone exe
    Certain secure sites getting caught in Captcha loops and / or failing to verify.
    Third WAS when I had an AMD card, sporadic YT BSODs with hardware acceleration enabled. Since switching to Nvidia, zero crashes.
    Lastly was poor integration with Ad Blocker Plus on various sites forcing me to completely disable it versus working fine on Edge.

7. epguy3

epguy3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    me too. I also use Firefox as my main browser but running the ESR versions of FF, and not the normal ones that get updated about every 4 weeks. Firefox ESR just get major version updates once a year.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I had switched from Chrome to Opera and noticed significant improvement in performance and reduced RAM utilisation. Now I'm on Brave, on par with Opera in terms of performance, but seems to offer even better security against tech privacy invasion.

9. hirobo2

hirobo2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm still on F52.9ESR. (If it still works, why bother changing/upgrading?) That was the last one I think where I could tell it to not auto-update. Using it in combo with Edge. Scared to try the newer FF versions as I hear it's/they're become borderline spyware.

10. Vaeron

Vaeron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wasn't Brave the browser that got in trouble for having a cryptominer embedded into it?

Vasudev, Papusan and etern4l like this.