Firefox vs Chrome - RAM use and noisy fan

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Vooon, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Vooon

Vooon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I couldn't find a recent thread on this topic via search, apologies if I missed something.

I've switched between these two several times the last 15 years, mostly because one of them starts experiencing performance issues. Usually something like chugging RAM or CPU, and making my laptop fan go nuts.

Recently I've started experiencing this with Firefox. The RAM usage is way up and the fan starts spinning as soon as I open more than one-two tabs. I've checked out a few tweaks (I have two extensions installed, and tweaked hardware accelration from 8 to 6) but this doesn't seem to have much effect.

So I now wonder if it's time to do another switch back to Chrome? One of the reasons I'm asking is also because I have the impression Firefox is a bit safer with regards to personal data, but I'm not sure if that's true. I guess Google is monitoring my every move anyway.

2. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    FireFox is not safer, they have a lot of bloatware now, What's new, gift icon, top sites (they know what sites you visit most), and this is enabled by default, I don't trust Mozilla anymore:

2020-11-20_124547.png

I would rather Google track me and make my life easier in terms of search history, places I visit, etc than have some company track me just for the sake of telemetry.

Also, Chrome is much lighter, way faster in terms of loading websites, it stomps over Firefox in all aspects. This coming from a Firefox fanboy since v3 BTW

3. Vooon

Vooon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks! That's pretty much all I need to know. I've always had a thing about Firefox, but I guess it's time to switch again. The for no obvious good reason RAM chugging is driving me nuts to be honest.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    edge is very efficient. I use it and one of my systems are light on ram 4gb with no issues at all.

5. Vooon

Vooon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've had a built in scepticism towards Microsoft browers for years now. Time to give it a try and ditch Chrome as well? Feels weird.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ha ha. I really enjoy it, but hey....who am I?

7. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Your FF what version was it when it was working? I seen upgrade of FF where it caused installed corruption but wasn't obvious til it was used and caused lags, memory leaks and just not working. So best is to uninstall all FireFox but if you have bookmarks read FF site how to saved them to restore them and then uninstall and delete any FireFox folder and reinstall to fix this problem.

Papusan likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I always felt Chrome was bloated and took more RAM than necessary than FF. On Windows, Edge Chromium sips less power and RAM than Chrome.
    For Firefox, you need to un-check Recommend addons as you browse in General section. If someone is using Cloudflare DNS or NextDNS FF users can to General > Network Settings > DoH Cloudfare/NextDNS. Earlier, I was using Cloudflare but nowadays Google/CF ping rates are unusually higher than ISP DNS.

Papusan likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think FF 82.x had some weird issue as well. @6730b noticed increased CPU clocks doing nothing.
    I think 83.x solved it. Yesterday, I tried it on battery and earlier my fans would ramp up instantly to 100% like a jet momentarily and then goes passive. Also, if you have enabled Webrender or tweaked any prefs in about:config try reverting to defaults.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Vooon

Vooon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just changed over to Chrome now. It definitely feels a lot smoother than Firefox. No fan noise so far either.