Finding a good laptop for graphic design and 3d modeling

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by alphasolarix, Jul 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alphasolarix

alphasolarix Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    2000€

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15.6"

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    France

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Like: had good experiences with asus and hp but they were regular laptops not gaming ones
    dislike: i guess acer? cause i had a pretty bad experience with one of their laptops (hinges broke and warranty was up) as they refused to service it even for money, but the laptop was pretty old too (around 3-4 years)

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    no

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    graphic design (Mostly adobe suite), 3d modeling (3D studio max and cinema 4d), casual gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes, i'm a student so i will be taking from home to college and back everyday

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, mostly AAA rpgs, like the witcher, nier or Ac: odyssey, sometimes some shooting games like overwatch or fortnite

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    minimum 4h on battery for casual web surf and text editing (netflix, ytb, emails and MS word)

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    ordering online is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows (possibility to turn it into hackintosh would be extremely good, but in no way mandatory)

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Full HD (1920x1080) with good srgb coverage is okay or maybe UHD

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    doesn't matter as long as it's color accurate

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    as long as it doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME I'M A GAMER!" it's ok

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    minimum 512GB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    this week or the next one

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    a week maybe? as i can always use the school macs but it would annoy the heck out of me

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Yes

Hello every one!

i'm new on the forum, nice to meet you! i'm searching for a new laptop after my loyal Asus x555 started dying on me, hope you can help me!
    i did some research on thin and light gaming laptops on my side, and managed to narrowed it more or less to the Razer blade 2019 (rtx2070 Max-q,16GBRAM,512GB) and MSI P65 Creator 8RF (Gtx1070 Max-q,16GBRAM,512GB), i found both at a local re seller for respectively ≈2000€ and 1730€, but i read some pretty terrible thing about both on reddit and such (poor build quality for the msi, and poor QC of the screen and other parts and pretty high temps for the razer).
    i would be really grateful if you helped me choose between the two or if you can suggest to me another recommandations that would fit the form.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.