Finally bought my first gaming desktop!!

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Ravern87, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im patiently waiting for the delivery of my desktop...its scheduled to be delivered any time now...this wait is killing me lol.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ha, well let us know how it goes. Show us some pics if you like, and let us know what you find out about your impressions, performance scores, overclocking, temperatures, noise, etc.

3. Ravern87

Reputations:
    Once im up and running could some of you guys help me learn how to properly overclock my cpu on my own? I know alot of you are experts at this lol. Or even point me in the direction of somewhere i can learn more about it?

4. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is this the monitor you got with it?

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MG248QR/

If so, your gonna like the 144hz refresh rate with 1ms response time. This is the exact one that I have and (I believe) Mr Fox has.

Great monitors for an even greater price!

Good luck with your purchase and get us some pics when you get time.

5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    In terms of CPU overclocking & stress testing your overclock I used this resource - it's applicable to Skylake which is the 6700K, but a lot is still applicable to your 8700K: http://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1570313-skylake-overclocking-guide-statistics.html

Read up first though on the general theory of overclocking so you understand the basics behind it (if you don't know already). Do a backup of your OS, maybe using Macrium Reflect before you start overclocking, that way if you get any operating system corruption from unstable overclocks you can quickly & easily restore your latest backup without having to do a clean install of the operating system.

6. Ravern87

Reputations:
    Ok guys im up and running. Ill post pics later when i get a chance. Now im at the hwinfo.com site do i want to download the hwinfo portable or intaller?

What else shoul i check? Gpu? Download anything else to stress test?

Robbo99999 likes this.
  7. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Just install the portable version, no reason to install another program.
    Have a look in Post #8 of this thread - you asked that question already & I answered.

8. Ravern87

Reputations:
    Ok last night i downloaded hwinfo, as well as msi afterburner and rivatuner. Also downloaded steam but didnt have time to buy my first game yet. But i set it all up so that ill be able to see the on screen diagnostics when gaming.

Another question for you guys. I have the 280mm nzxt kraken liquid cpu cooler with 4 fans in a push/pull configuration. Do i need to download that nzxt CAM program to control the rgb of the cpu plate and also if i download CAM will that allow me to control the fan speed on the radiator as well?? If not how can i control fan speed on the 4 radiator fans? Thanks.

9. freerice

freerice Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice Nice! I just can't convince parents to let me get a desktop with my money :/