Final verdict on Alienware 17 R4 displays?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by TechnoWhore, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devianti

Devianti Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Chris Blevins I hear ya! Am finally settling on a laptop with a 144hz IPS display w/G-sync. Amazingly it has a 75% AdobeRGB coverage which is pretty nuts for such a fast screen. Sticking in 1080p territory with a 1070 though, so should game nicely for quite some time at that res and refresh.

Enjoy your dream machine! :)

Chris Blevins likes this.
  2. Genryuu

Genryuu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently bought an AW17r4 with a QHD panel, and it's now out for repair.

While the image is very nice and sharp, and I can't really complain about colors in normal conditions, everything gets bad in dark scenes, being it videogames, pictures, videos, anything.

One issue is that there are two spots on the screen that constantly show a darker color. It's only visible over dark colors, and especially on flat images. For example in the boot Alienware loading screen.

The other, and more serious issue, is that it's terrible at displaying gradients and change in colors with dark colors. Things like smoke or clouds on a dark background, or light reflections on dark water.
    It always shows very distinct bands of colors instead of a smooth progression, and often the colors themselves are totally wrong. As I saw someone else addressing the issue somewhere else, it looks like a posterization effect.
    The only way I can make the problem less prominent is by boosting color brightness, to the point that black becomes gray.
    No tweaking of color settings solves the problem. If I calibrate everything on a specific picture, it will make different scenes worse, and vice versa.

Now, while the first issue is some hardware fault with no doubt, I'm afraid the second one could be just "the way this panel is".
    There is also a chance it's a GPU problem.

In any case, support asked me to leave on the desktop a few files that show the issue, for them to check. We'll see, hopefully by next week, if they manage to solve the problem.

For the record, I live in Japan.

Chris Blevins likes this.
  3. Dreepa

Dreepa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    FHD screen owner here. Using hwinfo to check the panel, it is a B173HAN01.0.

What panels do you have?

For mine, the colors are good, contrast is good, but the white is a bit stressing, and reading font can get exhausting. Can't tell why, might be the anti-glare foliage.

4. Audicted

Audicted Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After tons and tons of research, I sold my HP Omen 17 with a Gsync capable UHD IPS screen and bought an AW 17 R4 with a QHD screen and i couldn't be happier (i7 7700HQ - GTX 1070). I calibrated the screen through the Nvidia control panel, reducing its gamma to 0.80 and increasing Digital Vibrance to %70 and the wash-outness of the screen is gone. I couldn't find any color profile to do a better job than this adjustment. I had my doubts since i'm coming from an IPS Screen with UHD res. but after calibrating the screen and seeing that the colors are perfect, i was relieved beyond words. When i'm looking at the screen, i don't feel like i'm on a lesser dpi screen, it just looks the same. i can't believe how good this TN panel is.The screen is a bit grainy, guessing that is the anti-glare foliage but nothing uncomfortable, my UHD panel also had that. 120 Hz is a delight to look at, everything is perfect on 1440p (%100 scaling, %125 is much better but i hate windows scaling and don't intend to use it in any occasion, that was the main reason why i sold the omen in the first place). Blacks are very satisfying, colors pop up nicely (after giving it a %70 vibrance).

This thread helped me in a big way for making the right choice so thank you guys. Now i am sure that this screen trade off for the QHD is a no brainer, even with a GTX 1070.

Pete Light likes this.
  5. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cool in gonna try that, was it literally just those two adjustments you made in NCP? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn't be surprised if he's had a change of mind on that. Digital vibrance is great but gamma at 80 on that panel is a nice change initially but quickly becomes apparent that many things are way too dark.

7. Genryuu

Genryuu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Verdict after having the qhd panel replaced: still bad.

I guess people can notice the issue more or less depending on the kind of things they use their computer for.

For me, loving horror stuff, and doing astrophotography, the way it shows color changes in dark areas is simply unacceptable.

Everything else is fine, but this problem is too big for me, and 120hz is not worth the eye bleeding I get every time something dark is on screen.

8. Audicted

Audicted Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes those were the two things i have only touched. I still use it as it is, calibrated it through the NV Control Panel monitoring the gamma from windows display calibration utility, and in order to lose the white dots on the Gamma Circles on the Windows Calibration Utility, 0.8 seemed perfect. I still use it that way, been playing Fallout 4 for some time and the dark areas are perfectly fine for me. If it is too dark for you, then you might just go along with the %70 vibrance and leave the gamma as it is (maybe after trying 0.9 first).

I still love the laptops screen, wouldn't change it for any other AW screen option.

9. ShotOfB12

ShotOfB12 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just got a well specced 17r4 for a great deal but the laptop was listed as 120hz yet there has been no way to get it that high. Tried checking the list of modes and 60hz is the top and I also checked nvidia control panel. The model # is JYWWF which having googled is only listed as 120hz 2 times while the rest of the listings don't mention it. Seems odd to me that the 1440p has a non 120hz option but I believe I read parts of EU got a 60hz ips variant yet I haven't heard of anyone receiving it and I'm US.

I tried manually overclocking and the panel can't handle more then 73hz. Did I really get a 1440p IPS variant?

Any help?

10. SamuelAdams

SamuelAdams Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought a 17r4 also. And I can only choose to have 1440p at 60hz. I really want 120hz, this was a scratch dent from outlet

1R3J8 MOD,LCD,17.3QHD,AG,AUO,AW17R4

I click and it shows this:
    2JVM6
    LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, 17.3QHD, AG, AU OPTRONICS CORP
    5TMH8
    INFORMATION, SWSI, LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, 17.3, NON-TCH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.