Final verdict on Alienware 17 R4 displays?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by TechnoWhore, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    100+ hz is a god send but i think it doesnt matter much in non shooter games and competitive online games. The ****ty thing is that in laptops it also drains far more power on battery which also makes your battery last less long overall. The newest alienwares can have run times for 8 hours and more easily with optimus enabled on battery. But the gsync QHD versions barely half of that.

Pete Light likes this.
  2. desu

desu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    does anybody know if the UHD screen can be overclocked to 75hz.

3. Devianti

Devianti Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Read the whole thread, even the mudslinging hehe. ;)

I'm in the same spot as the OP with this decision. For me colour is important as I do a lot of image work in Adobe tools, but of course want the fast screen refresh rates for hardcore FPS gaming. I'm leaning towards the 4K and accepting the fact that most games I'll be playing at QHD or even FHD - even with the GTX 1080 I'm sure I will have to downscale with newer games (my life does not depend on Witcher 3 tho hah). I have an old M14xR2 and its IPS display is great for colour and no issues with viewing angles.

Are there any compelling tests done out there that anyone has links to? I've seen a few youtube vids but they aren't convincing. Viewing angle is not a problem if it looks great for the primary user, but colour wash-out could be an issue.

I have very keen eyes, but for me 60 FPS on a 60Hz monitor is A-OK for gaming... or am I missing something? Having never experienced a 100+ hz monitor am I just someone that needs to see the light and convert?

Cheers,
    Dev.

4. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would say so. I was skeptical about the difference between 60vs120 FPS, but damn, it really does make a huge difference for me (I'm quite a keen FPS gamer though). It's literally butter smooth, everything feels more reactive and responsive including input control. I'll never go back now

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Devianti and rinneh like this.
  5. nemoris

nemoris Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you care about color the QHD is definitely not going to cut it... no amount of calibration is going to make it tolerable for professional use.

120+ hz is going to be noticeable if you play a lot of FPS games however.

I guess you could also compromise. Go QHD and have an external for color work. Or get UHD and have an external with 144hz.

In general... UHD if you are media focused... QHD if you are gaming focused.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Chris Blevins and Devianti like this.
  6. Devianti

Devianti Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I think I've found a solution. Gonna go 120hz but also step back to FHD for the colour. I couldn't get the customisation I wanted with AW, but think I'll try a cheaper ASUS that still packs a punch with the 1070 for 1080p gaming on a fast IPS screen. I'm not ditching AW, just don't feel comfortable dropping 3k$+ on something I know won't tick both of my important boxes. Looks like I'll game at 1080p a little while longer, and wait to see what Dell has in store that might tempt me to drop the bigger bucks. :)

I'd love a UHD screen but will have to make do with the one I use at work!

Partly already mentioned in this post in the reply to Pete, but my compromise is likely to go with an ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS and game @ 1080p on a 120hz screen while saving a chunk of change and still have the benefit of the IPS display for my colour demands. Only thing that's a pain is that it's almost impossible to find a review of the specific model to see if it's any better/worse than where I'd be with AW with regards to aRGB colour! Kinda frustrating though - really want to get my hands on an AW17, but it seems half of my boxes to tick are on one side of their line up, and the other half way over in the opposite direction of the offering.

First world problems I guess :confused:

Chris Blevins and Pete Light like this.
  7. Chris Blevins

Chris Blevins Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am glad to see that I am not the only one that wore myself out trying to make a panel decision. I ordered the AW 17 R4 with i7-7820 HK/gtx 1080 and ended up going with the 60 hz UHD IPS 4K panel that includes G-sync. I went back and forth between that and the QHD 120 hz TN panel so many times. I was going crazy because i could not find a review on the G-Sync enabled UHD 4k panel because I guess it is too new.
    I am a gamer, however, I am more of a casual gamer, and I kind of wanted to go "all in" since I was making my first ever long awaited AW purchase.
    It may sound stupid to some, but part of my decision revolved around showing this beast off. The viewing angles and sharpness of the 4k UHD panel sounds like the "prettiest" screen to look at. I know that a lot of hard core FPS gamers that read this will be shaking their heads, but trying to convince the wife that the 3k+ you just spent on a laptop is justified would be much easier to do if the screen was the most vibrant it could be, and not washed out looking from odd angles. I do play FPS games, but I am by no means "competitive", and losing those split second reaction time one on one battles will just look that much better...lol.

This was definitely my hardest decision to make, but after reading post on how easy it is to swap out the panel if I just can't handle the refresh rate/ response time, or the ability to add an external 120hz+ panel for FPS gaming, made the decision a little easier.

I just got the UPS update that my new AW 17R4 will be delivered by end of day today, and I know that as soon as i fire it up and I see that alien logo glow, and that 4k UHD panel light up, I will have the biggest **** eating grin on my face, and won't be able to refrain from showing it off to anyone that stops by!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A couple of things people don't mention.

I've had alot of laptops lately. I had the QHD screen on the Clevo 17". Its also the same screen as on the Aorus X7. AUO makes the screen and changes the model name similar to how a Mattress manufacturers change the model names depending what store its in.
    Its been over a year and many laptops since I had the 775DM3-G but I remember the screen well. The same banding and washed out "cool" temperarure to the color.
    The Aorus X7 thread on this forum is littered with this same discussion.

FYI, I'm buying a Alienware 17 R4 with the QHD screen. I'll be doing the same thing I did with the last version of that screen... Running F.lux program to bring the temperature down below 6500k and adding some digital vibrance in Nvidia control panel.

Chris Blevins likes this.
  9. nemoris

nemoris Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hah I actually shared the same sentiment... I didn't want others looking at my screen and wondering... this thing cost 2k?

I just want my games to look the best they can... color and contrast is a huge part of visuals. I don't see a point of having all this horsepower only to have a washed out image; games like Witcher 3 look awful on the TN panel.

Chris Blevins likes this.
  10. Chris Blevins

Chris Blevins Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was playing The Witcher 3 in Ultra video settings on the UHD w/G-sync last night and it looked amazing. I did not notice any tearing or stuttering. Played really smooth! My wife walked by and said "what a beautiful sunset...is that really a game?"...mission accomplished!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.