Final verdict on Alienware 17 R4 displays?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by TechnoWhore, Feb 26, 2017.

1. TechnoWhore

TechnoWhore Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thinking of getting a 17 R4 soon and I can't decide on which display to get. From what I read it seems as if the 1080P FHD may be the best one to get overall with a gtx 1070.

I heard too many bad things about QHD to do with banding, light bleeding, lower contrast and colour gamut to put that on the table. Not sure if some of these has bee fixed or not.

For UHD sounds really good, but sucks up too many fps, which means on a 1070 you may not get as much mileage out of it in future graphics intense games. In order to get more fps you would have to downscale to 1080P anyway, so what would be the point. Presumably some older games can't be played at some of these resolutions? Also seems as if downscaling is not a perfected art, so may not look great.

I don't know how true the above is though so I would appreciate any comments on the virtues or dislikes of the above display types to help me choose. Worth noting that I've only ever played at 1080P, so I don't really know it these higher resolutions make up for their negatives. Thanks.

2. Joshva

Joshva Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey,

I have the 4K 17r3 (not r4). The point i was going to make is I have the Amplifier with a gtx 1080. On games as new as Starwars Battlefront you should be able to play 4K on High with some Ultra settings with that setup. The visual difference of 1080 to 4K is very noticeable. It looks smoother and more beautiful i.e. less pixelation (not smoother fps)

A couple of notes.

- There is a substantial hit on performance running the above system on the internal screen. My results would be similar to an internal laptop 1070. On Firestrike I get 13,100 - 13,200 and according to the database on 3D Mark it is the same as an internal 1070. In fact there are many internal 1070s with scores above my laptop
    - The 6700hq is not powerful enough to keep up with the 1080. 3DMark will report that the CPU can't keep up with the GPU

So for your specific situation.
    1) Don't rule out the 4k option even with an internal 1070. Many games will be very playable at 4k. Especially if you turn off anti aliasiang which does not matter on a 17inch 4k screen.
    2) Try to get the 7820K
    3) Try to get the internal 1080 (Not currently available on Kaby Lake)

Pete Light likes this.
  3. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree with everything he just said with the addition of one thing:

If it's purely for games the 120Hz 4ms 400 nits G-Sync QHD panel is second to none. It's absolutely brilliant, bright, fast and smooth. You will not get that with the 4K display (or any other display in the market at the moment for that matter). The lines watermark is only noticeable if your eyes are an inch for the screen, it can be calibrated for any colour inaccuracies (mine and many others didn't have any though) and there hasn't been any reports on light bleed on this panel in a long time!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

gschneider and SYHAP like this.
  4. SYHAP

SYHAP Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

yeah, despite the truth in that this screen had some serious problems at the end of the year and going into 2017, my 120Hz 4ms 400 nits G-Sync QHD is over the top perfect; I literally would not replace this with the 4K, let alone the 1080p if I was offered cash to use it, end of story.

5. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, I'm 40+ and can see the striping problem from about 0,5 m so maybe its time for that checkup at you local optician :D

Colors and contrast aren't really that much to cheer for but brightness is good and of course "response time". But I doubt that someone doing professional photo work could be able to calibrate this screen into something useful, but for gaming on the built in screen, its probably great (I would never game on anything this small myself though).

andyman404 and Pete Light like this.
  6. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah I think I lucked out and got a decent panel to be honest. Really hard to see and I'm only 33

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. Joshva

Joshva Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    btw all these issues is why i went with the Amplifier. The Alienware 17r3 4K screen is insanely good. Unfortunately I only have the 6700HQ. I would love to get the 7820HK in the newer machine, but i just can't do it hearing all the issues about the 17r4. I'm going to wait for the 17r5

8. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You must have since it is a problem confirmed by the manufacturer and I have seen it on two different AW 17s with QHD :D

9. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    all 1440p 120Hz AUO panel used in AW17R4 suffer the same stripping/banding/watermark problem. there's no better or worse panel. it's purely subjective how well a person can notice it. im 33, perfect vision, and i can notice it at about 20cm from the screen if i look for it. the closer u get, the more apparent it becomes and it can be quite annoying, making the display looking less sharp than it is supposed to be. the key word here is, IF you look for it. other than that, i agree with everything else everyone said here, it's a brilliant panel after you calibrated the display.

10. SYHAP

SYHAP Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see you keep saying that over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. My vision is X-Ray, no lines, no banding, PERFECT...and you're cursed.