Final conclusion on windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by lahi88, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nah, G2 means he's two generations behind. We're all at G4, now...

2. merlin_72032

merlin_72032 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pirx my old friend, I thought you are going to school me on Windows 8 like old time. :D I am kind of dumb when it comes to smartphone. Thank you for your information. :)

3. misft33333

misft33333 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just went from windows 7 to windows 8.1 yesterday

For now, I don't love it, but I do not hate it either.

I had a hard time finding the restart and shutdown button, so I created them and pinned it the start menu

Control panel was hard to find, so I put it on the desktop and disabled the charms bar

The start menu is not so bad for me because I pinned up programs I use once in a while and its easier to click on it because of the pictures

Untitled.png

Take revo uninstaller for example

In windows 7, Click "start", scroll down to find the "R" section, click on folder, then click on revo uninstaller application

In windows 8.1, I Click "start", I see revo uninstaller picture and it opens up the program

For now, I am just playing with the OS and determining if windows 8 is worth paying for or go back to windows 7

4. pinoy_92

pinoy_92 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    im enjoying windows 8.1. it took me a few days of getting used to it, but now, i am loving it and i probably wont go back to windows 7.

few things to note:

backed up files on windows 7 will not work on windows 8.1 and vice-versa.
    i could never get system restore to work on windows 8.1 and restoring a backup image on windows 8.1 is tricky to find.
    standalone applications (doesn't require installation) can not be set to start with windows.

those are not deal breakers, but it is something to keep in mind if you use any of the aforementioned features. ultimately, you will have to decide whether or not you develop a likeness to windows 8.1. try it for 30 days.

5. hendrix

hendrix Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    These driver issues are really frustrating me. 8.1 is a nice UI but the slowness I'm experiencing with even low level graphics type games (e.g. Civ V) is really unacceptable. I don't understand why these driver issues have not been sorted yet. We're a full 2 months after the official release.

6. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Didn't REvo make a shortcut to it's program last I recall some time back it did make a shortcut on the desktop to run its program. And what you did for Control panel and restart and shutdown is easy found on the Start Button Menu on Windows 7 I can find those quicker then having to make icon to do what should be a straight forward task to do from Windows GUI. Along that line I also can create Control panel, Restart and Shutdown button on the desktop but then that would be redundant in Windows 7 when I can flick the power button it goes to automatically shutdown.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    It's very game-specific. I had no slowdown with either Borderlands 2 or Starcraft 2 when I upgraded my Vaio F23 from Win7 to Win 8.1. I'm not sure what the incompatibility is, why it's there, or whether to blame the game developers or Microsoft, but it's certainly not across-the-board with all games.

8. misft33333

misft33333 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am still new to windows 8.1, so I am approaching it like I would with windows 7. So I have to learn a few new things.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    haha, lol. Man tech does roll fast considering this just came out end of October.

10. lahi88

lahi88 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey i have those restore disks with me for my whole system. So if i install windows 8.1 and then again i want to change to window 8 (my current operating system) , can't i do that with those restore disks ???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.