Feedback to Clevo R&D Team: What's missing or broken in your Skylake laptops?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Understood. Your frustration make sense. That sucks. Sometimes we all say things that we do not mean to come across a certain way, especially when we are frustrated. I know I sure do.

Talk to your reseller about becoming a Prema Partner Shop. Perhaps @Ionising_Radiation can do the same in his area. There is a possibility they might qualify, assuming they are interested. @Prema is appropriately selective about who he does business with, and not every Clevo shop is going to be a good fit. But, it might be safe to say that you do not have any Prema Partner Shops in your area only because none of the top notch vendors that fit his criteria have asked to be a Partner Shop. (I am assuming to some extent so I said "might be safe to say" that.) What some people may not understand is some vendors just want to slop stuff out the door the way it rolls off the assembly line, which can mean the vendor doesn't want to be special, distinguished and pursue excellence in everything they do. Excellence is not possible with stock notebook cancer firmware. The best they can hope to achieve is mediocrity.

The problem is at the vendor level and and pathetic stock firmware notebooks ship with from the factory, not @Prema. Clearly, he is the solution.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Let's see if Clevo's next generation of laptops impose less or more limits in the BIOS...

I know P870DM3 improved over P870DM a bit but we'll see how things go.

Did P870KM1 improve, stay the same, or make things worse than the P870DM3 BIOS?

3. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just because something was free once, does not create an entitlement forever...particularly when it was abused while being free. It was a gift when it was free...but is no longer available as a gift, nor is it for sale to the public. It is a bit awkward to criticize the donor of a gift when they decide to stop gifting.

If an enthusiast is chasing prices, then I question their level of enthusiasm...I would think they would be chasing information on how to get the most performance for their money, not just the lowest price. When you get the lowest price, you usually get what you pay for. When you chase quality and performance, it rarely comes at the lowest price.

We sell thousands all over the world to enthusiasts who understand the difference, and those who don't, won't know the difference once they get it.

We will be here to serve you whenever you are ready!

Georgel, Mr. Fox, TBoneSan and 2 others like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    People forget the stealing - reverse engineering!! You can thanks people's dishonesty for most of the changes. People ****s in his own nest.

5. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I have to agree. You guys have shipped me out machines twice with absolutely fair shipping prices and warranty programs in case s#it hits the fan. All is fair. Plus it's not like you price hike your machines with the Prema BIOS anyway. They're every bit as competitive with the goodies to boot.
    Too many people gets scared dealing across borders. I see it even when I've sold my own systems in the marketplace here - they get snapped up because I don't exclude international shipping. It's just not that big of a deal.

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It did get better in terms of menu options. Still not great, but moving the right direction. But, menu options only represent a portion of the issues with stock firmware. Menu otions don't help that much when behavior and performance sucks. Clevo introduced some extra nasty power limited throttle cancer with KM1 that @Prema had to open a can of whoop-ass on. Or, was it two cans of whoop-ass? Anyhow, they just need to hire @Prema, give him a nice salary and benefits, then make every Clevo sold function properly right out of the box. That would be ideal. I'm sure that Partner Shops could offer some extra "advanced" Prema magic of some kind... including vBIOS mods. They already offer more than most of their competitors on top of the Prema magic.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I live in Dubai and when I had 2 Clevo laptops, they were all from HIDevolution. They have a global warranty that covers shipping costs both ways so I wasn't concerned, and these Clevo machines in my experience never broke and I never needed anything other than keyboard replacements which were sent to me and shipped internationally for free. All I am saying, it's not that hard buying from a Prema Partner especially one that goes the extra mile, excellent thermal paste jobs, quality control, Prema BIOS. I'd never buy a Clevo laptop without the Prema BIOS even if I had to buy it from Mars. I've seen how crappy the stock BIOS is, how it throttles for no reason randomly. No thank you. Give meh teh Pr3m4 power at any cost :D

bennyg, TBoneSan, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    it improved in small things, at least now they allow you to undervolt or overvolt and do basic overclocking from the BIOS but nothing crazy and not as advanced as the Prema BIOS can. But the Prema EC Firmware works magic also by preventing throttling.

9. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I agree, Prema would be worth whatever he asks from them. The problem is, I bet they've thought about that and then decided instead to shift that cost to system integrators and resellers, let them handle it.

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If I were a betting man, I would bet at least one paycheck on that. If it were not true, I suspect it would have already happened. It's a lot cheaper to not care and let it be someone else's problem.