Feedback to Clevo R&D Team: What's missing or broken in your Skylake laptops?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Jon Webb

Jon Webb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    X299, Skylake X and more fans. Basically a refresh of the P570WM

Papusan likes this.
  2. Jon Webb

Reputations:
    I don't see what would be difficult about this. For guys that want to stick with a 4 core processor there's Kabylake X, for guys that want more there's Skylake X. If they run into cooling problems, only offer the CPUs that the machine can cool. If someone wants to install something bigger, more power hungry. It's on them. From what I can see the old Panthers used to cool 150 watt processors, but with only 100 watt GPUs. So that might be an issue.

3. Stress Tech

Stress Tech Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Maybe this is to late...or maybe this goes on the wish list. I don't really know. Sorry:

But PLEASE can we have at least 3x DDI (switchable through BIOS) to the Thunderbolt3 ports and mini DisplayPorts! so we can have a triple G-sync Nvidia Surround monitor setup!!!

Even if you have to erase that HDMI port on the back of the laptop, as we can just add an HDMI adapter to the mini DisplayPorts or ThunderBolt ports when a HDMI connection is ever needed.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Designing a system at the best of times is not easy, investing into a platform that has no support for a mobile platform is not a simple ask.

Ionising_Radiation and Jon Webb like this.
  5. Jon Webb

Reputations:
    But It can be done, correct? This is coming from a guy who doesn't know much about computers, definitely a newbie. My thought is if they had an X79 board in the p570WM and the new Intel boards are X299, with a boatload of available processors, from 4 core to 10 or 12 or whatever Skylake X will be. It is possible for the next generation of Clevo models to be based on the X299 board..

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It certainly can be done but we are talking a huge investment into design and costs. It's a more complex platform requiring more materials and will have little support from intel.

It would be risky in the sense if it does not sell well the company could suffer badly.

7. Jon Webb

Reputations:
    I GET IT! I don't understand the behind the scenes dealings, like "little support from Intel" but what you're saying makes sense. It'll cost a fortune to develop the laptop and if resellers aren't selling them by the truckloads it'll be a huge loss for Clevo.

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    If you are designing a system for a standard platform (say 7700HQ) your engineers can reach out to Intel for help on things like best tracing practises etc. And also if following these and you have an issue they can help you investigate and come up with a solution. If you want to try going outside of that (say putting a HEDT platform into a notebook) you are basically on your own.

Jon Webb likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Yeah, the excuse Mr. Azor had for not use desktop i7 in the AWbook's. And instead pushed for BGA. Not only for the processor, but as well the graphics.

10. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wish they would revert to the old Alienwares that people praised so heavily back in the day. I remember a time when everybody loved them. If not for anything else, many people get one because they remember AW being one of the best things in the world.

I have not tested one, so I cannot say how good they are now, but I know that people praised them a lot in the past.

Papusan and Stress Tech like this.