Feedback to Clevo R&D Team: What's missing or broken in your Skylake laptops?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    As the title implies, this thread is to post feedback on what is missing or broken (malfunctioning) in your Skylake Clevo laptop. Be sure to elaborate so others (especially Clevo) have a clear understanding of what is missing or broken so they know what needs to be done to rectify the problem.

I am creating this thread after some dialogue with Eurocom. I think we can expect that they will be watching this thread, reporting the critical issues to Clevo and acting as our advocate with the R&D team to get things rectified. I'm sure other Clevo/Sager resellers will be watching as well, and sharing their thoughts with the Clevo distribution channels they purchase their product from. It should be safe to say that all of them want things to work right to keep their customers happy and the brand at the top of the food chain in high performance notebooks.

It is OK to express your feedback even if someone else has already posted the same feedback. The more people that express the same thing is missing or broken, the more likely it is that Clevo will consider it urgent enough to do something about it.

Please do not post off-topic or make suggestions for new features. We already have a Clevo wish list thread. Please, do not present any petty gripes or personal pet peeves in this thread. Posts that are blatantly off-topic will be reported for deletion by a moderator. However, please do feel free to quote, express your agreement with, discuss, elaborate, or ask questions about what others have already posted that is on topic.

If you created a thread to document your unresolved issue with something that is missing or malfunctioning with your Skylake-powered Clevo, please post about it here in a clear manner and feel free to include a link to your thread as well.

I will go first. Below are a few things that I would like to see taken care of as soon as possible. Be sure to share what model(s) you have that are affected.

Manual Fan Controls
    Having FN+1 for max fans is really awesome for benching or strenuous situations. Thank you for that. I use it frequently. However, running the fax on max speed is ridiculous for 24/7 cooling. The stock fan tables are messed up. Fans don't run when they ought to and sometimes run when they don't need to. We should be able to use the HWiNFO64 fan control feature and/or Almico SpeedFan to set up our own custom fan profiles on Clevo the same as what is possible on Alienware. Clevo Control Center is messed up and doesn't get the job done. Whatever they have done to block this from working in the EC or BIOS needs to be unblocked. It's ridiculous that this is locked down. Please open it up for third-party utility control access so your customers can tailor things to suit their own needs.

Keyboard LED Controls
    We need to separate the LED keyboard configuration tool from Hotkey (Clevo Control Center) as a standalone utility so those that do not want Hotkey can still manage the LED system. Clevo Control Center causes issues for some and needs to be fixed, but separating LED controls would make a lot of us happy that do not want Hotkey installed. Personally, I don't want Hotkey and would have no use for it other than the keyboard LED controls. It sucks having to install it for no other reason.

Heat Sink Quality Control
    Clevo makes some really good heat sinks. The problem is quality control. When they fit well they do a nice job. Too many of them are warped, deformed or just fit too sloppy from the factory and need to be replaced. I've had to pay for two of them out of my own pocket because there was no warranty available. Others have needed to have their heat sinks replaced on brand new systems that were running too hot because the original parts did not fit correctly.

My Affected Models
    P870DM-G (sold), P870DM3 (pending delivery)

(Note: My currently owned P750ZM and my previously owned P570WM are also affected by all of the above, although they are not Skylake models... these are things that Clevo has needed to address since before Skylake.)

@Eurocom Support @EurocomTechspert @Prostar Computer @SagerPR @Meaker@Sager @mythlogic @John@OBSIDIAN-PC @Larry@LPC-Digital @pat@XOTICPC @Tanner@XoticPC @clevo-extreme @tanzmeister @XMG @Prema

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Midas Touch, bennyg, J.Dre and 13 others like this.
  2. Johnksss@iBUYPOWER

Johnksss@iBUYPOWER Company Representative

Reputations:
    holding....
    P870DM3

1: Fans need to be control separate from everything else. Just like you have Max fans, it would be nice if it was max/medium/low/auto. Hit key combo once/twice/three times/4 times. And then also software control for tailoring.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Dr. AMK, J.Dre, ole!!! and 7 others like this.
  3. Kittys

Kittys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For P65_67RP/RS...

1. Thunderbolt is fully disabled in bios.. Working on way to enable it would be great because its there and is more to offer against competition and it works fine!! (on my P670 at least)

2. Enable Voltage control within bios for HQ series because XTU messes with Clevo control center too much... It makes no sense to disable that but leave xmp and timing control available

3. In CCC please nuke tray icons for flexikey, gpu oc and gpu mode.... The led for mode on laptop makes it redundant and nobody needs 4 icons for one program (more of a wish than an issue)

4. GSync... Its almost always broken. Maybe opening a communique with Nvidia so they dont keep pushing it aside would help...especially if more and more laptop manufacturers stepped into fold to let them know.

More coming later....

Sent from my ZTE A2017U

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  4. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Better keyboard firmware.
    Better quality control on the heat sinks.
    While at it maybe make the heat sinks a little bit beefier. There is definitely space.

Most if it though has already been covered in the OP.

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting, bro.

Everyone please feel free to repeat what is said by others to make it clear we are not nit-picking about isolated instances of one-off problems or venting about individual pet peeves. Multiple complaints of the same problems/issues will be important for any hope that things will be addressed. If you want to take the easy route, you can quote another post and say something like "I need these same problems fixed and my model is _________."

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  6. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Larger keyboard / better keyboard layout!

EC firmware / fans spin up randomly on P775, even without load with the official Clevo Control Center with XTU module embedded.

When going full screen DSR then back to original display size, the icons in the task bar are distorted.

High latency on Nvidia drivers.

System stability is hit and miss sometimes - need help with this - should have a default state where it's fully stable

Only the CPU fan spins up randomly and with a pretty unhealthy sound to it.

Overall driver and software inegration and stability can be - instable sometimes - very hard to configure without a lot of knowledge beforehand.

Mikle39, altleet and Kittys like this.
  7. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Most of these issues are caused by external tools/software . There ain't much Clevo can do about it.
    The blurriness Is a Windows Scaling issue.
    DPC LATENCY is a Nvidia driver problem.
    Fans spinning / not spinning is a problem caused by XTU .

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  8. steberg

steberg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    External Reset button for clearing CMOS nvram without removing battery

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That is sort of a "wish list" item, but I think it fits appropriately under the category of "missing". It is very important because some models (P775DM I think may be one example) it is too difficult to access the CMOS battery. It should not be difficult to clear NVRAM, and sometimes that can mean the machine is "soft-bricked" (unbootable) until the NVRAM is cleared. Thanks for posting this.

@steberg - does this affect your P751DM2-G? Is accessing the CMOS battery an extraordinarily difficult feat, or simply inconvenient?

Ashtrix and steberg like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I think the last issue may actually be something they can address. XTU would not be causing problems with fans if the EC/BIOS worked correctly. I cannot think of a good excuse for this. Clevo needs to correct whatever the conflict is. It may be the same problem, or related to, whatever the issue is that blocks us from using HWiNFO64 fan controls or Almico SpeedFan. There is no excuse for XTU to cause malfunction on certain models of Clevos.

I do agree the other items are not Clevo issues.

Georgel likes this.