Fastest DDR4 rams for notebooks

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ashknani, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @Johnksss@iBUYPOWER has DDR4-3000 G.SKILL is his DM3.

2. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Awesome! Good news.

3. ashknani

ashknani Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    so do u recommend that i buy those g.skill 3000 over the 2667 that alienware r offering ?

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I am unable to recommend that because I don't have any idea whether or not Alienware supports 3000. Considering how they have been crippling everything they sell for the past couple of years, including their desktop computers, it's anyone's guess whether it will even boot with the 3000MHz XMP profile.

However, yes... I would suggest getting the cheapest memory (and drives) that they offer and buying your own aftermarket upgrades. You can probably get 2666 RAM from Amazon or NewEgg for half what they will charge you for it, and it will carry a lifetime warranty. Getting RAM and SSDs from Alienware (and many other OEMs) has almost always been a bad idea due to price gouging. Alienware is also notorious for using proprietary firmware on their drives, so you generally won't get important SSD firmware updates like you will going aftermarket.

Just be sure to hang onto the original RAM and drives in case you need to return the product for a refund or send it into the Dell depot for repair. Even for remote diagnostics some of their tech support muppets will refuse to do any troubleshooting with aftermarket parts installed. Some will, some won't... depends on whether you end up talking with Big Bird, Kermit, Miss Piggy, Cookie Monster, Mr. Snuffleupagus, Grover, Ernie or Bert.

TOAA likes this.
  5. ashknani

Reputations:

i need ur help with something i have found 3000mhz ram and 2666mhz the weird thing is the 2666mhz is more expensive than 3000mhz why is that and it says 2400MT/s what does that mean and here r the links

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BGZEVHU/ref=psdc_172500_t1_B01G260V2C

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G260V2C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

6. WaldoJim42

WaldoJim42 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just to give you a bit of experience from the 15R2 - it probably won't work.

I made the move to upgrade to 32Gb recently, and found that 2400Mhz was a crap-shot. At 16GB it would boot and function most of the time, but only with one stick. Anything else, it was unstable. At 32Gb, it wouldn't even try. I have to run at 2133Mhz to keep this machine working. Also, with the newer BIOS revisions (which is required for 32GB apparently), they removed the option to modify the ram clocks at all.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    MT/s is megatransfers per second and refers to the number of data transfers that occur in one second.

Here is the same DDR4-3000 RAM for substantially less. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236068

Assuming compatibility with the system you would plan to install it in, the DD4-3000 is better/faster than 2666 simply because it is overclocked higher. If the machine you plan to use it in does not support it, it might still be bootable at a lower speed. There is also the possibility it would not be bootable. The only way to find out is to try it. The 2666, 2800 or 3000 clock speed is generally applied through an XMP profile and the default SPD profile is something less, such as 2400.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  8. ashknani

Reputations:
    Well the new one supports up to 2666mhz so even If I bought these from amazon it will save me alot of money I think ,, not to mention they dont offer 2666mhz in 32gb only in 16gb which is weird so I think im gonna try the 2666mhz in amazon

9. ashknani

Reputations:
    Do u think this corsair rams 32gb 3000mhz can lower its spd to function on the supported spd of the laptop ?

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    As I mentioned, the default SPD speed in most cases is 2400 with 2666, 2800 or 3000 supported in an XMP profile. Short answer to your questions is 'probably' but the only way to know if it will work is to try it and find out. Whether it will or not will be dependent on the amount of effort the OEM puts into getting the BIOS right. If you are considering putting it into an Alienware then the chances of it functioning correctly might be slimmer because they generally don't support anything special and tend to gimp things a bit.